FMIC + A/C entact on first gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMIC + A/C entact on first gen?

Just a question ... has anybody left the A/C system entact on their turboed first gen plus had room to mount an FMIC?

I'm just curious, which FMIC would you use? It's kinda crowded up there, and most people I've seen have taken out the A/C. I still have a decent functioning system, and R-12 isn't too easy to find .

I suppose it's possible to mount it kinda low and shave off the bumper a bit (it's actually messed up a little bit on this $1000 car anyway, lol) .

Just looking if anybody had any suggestions

2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Nope, sorry. You have to roast like the rest of us.

Adam
    1991 Protege GTR
    1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
    MODS:
    GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
    TO DO LIST:
    EDM/JDM rear bumper
    EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
    Repaint car

Comment

I think you can fit a moderatly sized intercooler in your protege with the A/C .

When I was crawling around under adams car I was looking around the turbo area . It looked to me like the compressor had more than enough room to fit . And I am sure that you could keep the A/c condensor in the front and if not , just relocate it somehow.

I know that turbo1g was saying that he still has his a/c in his protege and I think he has a T3 (or had) with a huge frigin intercooler in the front bumper.
      Bruce
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Keeping the A/C is not a problem. You just have to cut the hell out of the bumper. The only problem is the giant "radiator" type thing getting in the way of where the FMIC would sit. If you trim about 4" out of the bumper and support you can fit an FMIC just fine. I used a sawzall to trim mine.

You can also run a Air-2-Water IC and mount it in the engine bay. Or get a custom hood and do a TMIC.
        -Braden
        '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Cool, sawzalls are fun .

TMIC is an interesting idea but I've always thought it'd be too vulnerable to heat soak ... ? Then again, the WRXs get away with it pretty decently, it'd probably be okay for starting off.

The radiator type thing is the condenser, I believe.

I'll read up on air-to-water, too. All I've ever seen people use is air-to-air.

Thanks

Comment

Charles, you and I are in the same boat ... and it sounds like we're both about as far along in our boost projects . To keep the stock bumper, I'd have to agree with Braden. My cover is cracked anyway, so the bumper is f'ed sort of. I'm not too concerned about hacking it up and I will probably gut out a lot of the crash bracing in the middle. Ultimately though, I'll be getting a different bumper. If I could find one like Darryl's then that'd be the ticket. The Familia JSpec *might* work. The Evo is too bizzare for me, plus I'd have to modify it around the headlights.
            Scott
            '94 Protege LX - gone, but not forgotten
            '96 Volvo 854T Platinum Limited Edition
            '98 Volvo V70 T5
            '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

Originally posted by beachnut
              Charles, you and I are in the same boat ... and it sounds like we're both about as far along in our boost projects . To keep the stock bumper, I'd have to agree with Braden. My cover is cracked anyway, so the bumper is f'ed sort of. I'm not too concerned about hacking it up and I will probably gut out a lot of the crash bracing in the middle. Ultimately though, I'll be getting a different bumper. If I could find one like Darryl's then that'd be the ticket. The Familia JSpec *might* work. The Evo is too bizzare for me, plus I'd have to modify it around the headlights.
              Yeah, those bumpers are usually expensive. The bumper is already kinda messed up from a small hit, it wouldn't lose too much by being cut up.

Comment

I kept my stock bumper and I have a 22" x 9" x 3" FMIC. It fits PERFECT and all I had to do was cut the inside part of the bumper and the center part of the crash brace. The IC took place of where the existing brace was. Whenever I can borrow somebodys digi cam I can show you. It looks sweet as hell. Here is the site for the FMIC. $400 is a good price for it too.
                -Robert
                '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Thanks Robert ... yeah, I really want to see a pic of that if you could. I can visualize what you mean, but you know what they say about a picture. I have a Starion IC but I might just go with one of those IC's from Street Imports or maybe a Spearco. The inlet piping on the Starion is not really the best setup it seems, going in the top instead of the sides.
                  Scott
                  '98 Volvo V70 T5
                  '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

Interesting... in Canada though. Eh?

Comment

Nice find ... the Pespi can adds 20+ hp

I found a site in the UK selling Postert front bumpers for the 323. It's about as close to Darryl's gtx bumper as I've seen yet. The trouble is that after you add shipping from there it priced out at over $600 US !
                      Scott
                      '98 Volvo V70 T5
                      '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

The GTX bumper is perfect to fit a nice front mount. I have the same one Darryl has on my 91 Protege and it's great. I just have to figure out how to run my a/c lines and I'll be good.

1991 Protege GTR
                        1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
                        MODS:
                        GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
                        TO DO LIST:
                        EDM/JDM rear bumper
                        EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
                        Repaint car

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedPro
                          The GTX bumper is perfect to fit a nice front mount. I have the same one Darryl has on my 91 Protege and it's great. I just have to figure out how to run my a/c lines and I'll be good.

1991 Protege GTR
                          Yeah, I'm sure .... but they're extremely rare and very hard to find. How did you stumble across yours?
                          Scott
                          '98 Volvo V70 T5
                          '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

I got a fmic 36x10x2.75 and i was able to clear ac on mine car.i had to use slick fan in front of the condenser and trim litle of mine reinforcment and bottom of mine bumper.
                            http://hometown.aol.com/d2maz/index.html
                            )
                            91 PROTEGE 4WD BPT RUNNING WOW TRACTION WITH 1.5 BAR(sold)
                            97 ECLIPSE GST SPYDER (K&N ,BCS MOD, GREDDY FMIC) new toy(sold)
                            99 PASSAT GLX V6 (OEM E spec navi, wife's car)
                            2006 JETTA TDI DSG 50 mpg(sold)
                            2006 EVO GSR
                            FIXING VW's for past 10 years

Comment

Here is an example of a FMIC with the A/C entact.My Car
                              -Robert
                              '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Working...
                              X