help with a chipping front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with a chipping front bumper

has anyone repainted their bumpers? Mine is chipping like crazy. Is there any easy cheap way to repaint?
    NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

I think a lot of people have the same problem.... mine is chipping horribly also... But I'm sure that fixing the problem is totally feasible.

I just recently called a locall body shop last week. I am going there next week to get about 3 pints of my OEM color paint mixed for me. All you would need for that your paint code (Usually a 2 character code ex. Z1). The price will range, depending on how much paint you need, and they type of color... but I'm not certain what reasonable figures would be. For me I think it is like $30 a pint or something... And I think that a pint may cover your bumper (you may want to check me on that).

My plans were (with the help of a couple of friends) to take the front bumper cover off (not too hard), strip the paint (not with chemicals though)... sand it all to hell.. and then can paint prime it with a couple of coats.... I will be asking for some help from one of my friends with an air compressor to paint it (along with my wiper arms, mirrors and possibly my trim/molding)... and when that is completed I will just can clearcoat. That is what I'm planning to do... I mean If I messed it up, I doubt it would look worst than it already does now.

This would all be done during the spring of course, its too cold now...

Im sure if you ask around, or search for some keywords on here you may be able to find some more help in greater detail from people who have actually already done this or something simular to it

Peace,
    "MeeN"
    Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 12-25-2003, 11:58 PM.
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

nice,,,,thanks for the advice
      NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

mine is unpainted
        One day you are born,
        The next big milestone
        you discover go zoom-zoom
        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

just for chipped paint you dont have to go throught through the pain of stripping the enitre bumper down,,,,just sand your bumper down with some fine grit paper,,just enought to knock the shine off...,lay a couple coats of primer surfacer on it....then you need to get a can of black paint and mist the paint all over the bumber....then get a wet sanding pad, some fine grit sand paper and wet sand the bumper untill all the black is gone....if the chips are that deep that the black still shows the chips, simply lay another couple coats of surfacer, and repeat the process.
          once you get the bumper to where there is no more black paint on it,,,then you can lay your oem paint on. Im no expert but ive been told that if you sand on a plastic bumper too much,,,,which you will....that you run the risk of warping the plastic....plus factory primer is as good as it comes.
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

also finishing putty is really nice if you wanna get away from some sanding,.
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i stand corrected....got to this link...turns out stripping is the best thing to do on plastic...http://www.autobodypro.com/tektips/a....htm.....youll find what every you need on this site.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by XxToKeSxX

I just recently called a locall body shop last week. I am going there next week to get about 3 pints of my OEM color paint mixed for me. All you would need for that your paint code (Usually a 2 character code ex. Z1). The price will range, depending on how much paint you need, and they type of color... but I'm not certain what reasonable figures would be. For me I think it is like $30 a pint or something... And I think that a pint may cover your bumper (you may want to check me on that).
                I think that you'll need a bit more than just the OEM color paint. I am currently looking into this myslef and I was told that I'll need this along with the OEM paint to paint the bumper properly:
                1.) Universal Flexibilizer
                2.) Reducer
                3.) High Solids Hardener
                When all of this is mixed in the right proportion it should be easy to paint with a paint gun. Oh yeah, and a pint will be more than enough if you are painting just one bumper. 1/2 pint will do the job nicely. Price range for all of this will be $80 - $120 depending on where you buy it from.
                -------------------------
                '91 LX
                '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

from what ive been told....if you just add more hardener to the paint it will be flexible so dont get suckered in to buy flex agent...my friend works at a dupont store and mixed me up some silver paint for my interior..al he did was add a lil more hardener and i have had no problem with chipping....i used it to paint the front top of the door panel and its pretty flexible.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i painted my 78 mailibu, with 3 coats of single stage paint for $40 hahaha.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

When it comes down to it... Go with the cheaper selection... that is my motto... Get the hookup, and ghetto rig... as long as it comes out correct, can hold up, and its to your liking, thats good enough for me....

When tha dough dont flow? It's All out ghetto

Is that an Oxymoron?... Meh
                      1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                      1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                      2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                      2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

The problem is that when you cheap out it'll most likely not hold and will not be to your liking. I like to do things once the correct way or not do it at all.
                        '91 LX
                        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

eh, i've given up on being able to give a nice FINISH to body panels. a while back, a lot of you remember me painting my front bumper, grille, and door moldings. well, these looked spotless 6 months ago.. harsh sun, road salt, acid rain, and road grime have reduced the door moldings and front bumper to a dirty ****in menagerie. if you're getting chipping in the paint or flaking on plastic, take whatever means you need to prep it for painting, but get it professionally painted... there is no substitute.
                          peace

Comment

Working...
                          X