porting????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

porting????

if I wanted to port my box, as I know it makes the bass quality better, how would I got about doing so aside from breaking out a door knob drill bit and going nuts. The box holds 2 subs, but the 2 are seperated chambers by a piece of mdf in the middle.

The box is a 'pro box' if that is even the brand. Its about 2.5 ft. wide, 1 ft. tall, 1 ft deep. Imagine that cut in half.

sorry for all the guesses, but its 5:15 am, been up all nite playing wc3.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

right now you are probably running them in about .8 cu ft each. that's not enough for a decent ported box for them. also, ported doesn't make the quality better, some say it makes it worse, it just gives you more another thing, i wouldn't put those subs in a ported box, cause they are horrible in the low freq's if you put it in a ported box, it's going to be boomy as hell. it'll get loud as hell between about 40 and 80 hz, but above that and below that won't be very loud i'd stick with what you've got as far as a box is concerned. throw some polyfil in there, if you haven't already

Comment

and where would one get this polyfil?

I assume its like dyno mat.?.?.?.?.?

but probably cheaper, everything is cheaper than dyno mat

Comment

in big bags at wal-mart in the craft section (the stuffing stuff that old ladies use in their l337 crafting projekts)

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
          in big bags at wal-mart in the craft section (the stuffing stuff that old ladies use in their l337 crafting projekts)

yep, it's a couple bucks for a big back of it. it's some white fiberous material, like what they stuff pillows with don't overpack your speaker box with it. it should be packed pretty well, but keep it rather loose, so it doesn't suffocate the sub. some people hear huge differences when using polyfil, some hear only a very minute difference, but for $2-$3, it's worth a shot:p:

Comment

hey blue, im just gonna assume, porting wouldnt do any good for me either

Comment

cheap mod..........
              nope sorry..... I am looking to blow a crap load of money on some dynomat for it to not work that well........

just kidding. Just cant believe what some people pay for dynomat. I know its worth it but you know that company if making a sh*t load of money

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                hey blue, im just gonna assume, porting wouldnt do any good for me either

it all depends on the sub, so don't go around assuming things:p: you sub will actually do quite well in a ported box and i love that alpine publishes more parameters than most big name brands i'd put it in a 1.5 cu ft ported box tuned to 28 hz. it'd like a larger box, like 2 cu ft, but to keep size down 1.5 will be fine. say you've got it in a 1 cu ft sealed box now, you'll gain about 4 dB at 20 hz, 6 at 30 hz, 4 at 40 hz, 3 at 50 hz, 2 at 60 hz, and the gap continues to get closer up through 100 hz.

Comment

Working...
                X