Front sway bar links are a B!TCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front sway bar links are a B!TCH

I finally got around to changing the broken link on mt mom's car and wow was it hard. I had to torch off the connector piece and vice grip the end of the ball/bolt, heat the nut and the top was off.

The bottom was rusted and was another story (these are original ones on a 98)
    after trying the same process for 15-20 min I had the nut off about 2mm. I said screw this and got out my angle grinder and in a couple min of careful grinding it was off! Only 1 dime sized shiny spot on the control arm.

Anyone have a clue why mazda went to this link design? They don't seem to last long, they cost 3X as much and are way harder to change.

while ur on the topicc.
    do'nt have an answer for u
    buttttt....
    do we have rear sway bar linkz too...
    too lazy to bend over n check
    | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

wow that is lazy. if you have a sway bar then you obviously have to have endlinks. Although I haven't dealt with the front endlinks because I haven't had issues, they should be simple like the rear where you use both a box end or rachet with an allen wrench.
      95 ES
      05 S60R

Comment

Problem was that the ball joint in the link came apart and the thing just spun with a socket on it. The original ones didn't have a spot to put another wrench on it like the replacement ones do thus the issue of cutting it off.

Comment

Usually you have to cut apart the seized or abused endlinks.
          Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Protip- Its 1000x easier if you have the front end off the ground. No one seems to realize the bar has pretty much no tension when both wheel are off the ground.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
            Originally posted by HopelessCow
            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
              Protip- Its 1000x easier if you have the front end off the ground. No one seems to realize the bar has pretty much no tension when both wheel are off the ground.
              It was the problem was that there was no where to get a hold of the ball part threaded onto the nut. They were rusted together and vise grips on a smooth greasy shaft only work so well.

Comment

i went by nissan the other day
                and this guy there has i tink
                an 03 ms protege..
                and he told me
                when im changing my suspension...
                my sway bar links are gonna break for sure?..
                i check and its not attached to the strut..
                how is this possible..
                or are the newer proteges set up differently
                | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

Working...
                X