Interior lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior lighting

Ok I want to spruce up the old interior of the car, Im thinking some leds under the chairs, under the dash, one or two in the glove box, the arm rest and one over in the pocket.

MY main question is what kind of leds would you guys recomend. I've been debating diffused ones with a 60degree viewing angle or some clear ones that are three times stronger at only a 45 degree viewing angle.

These are the ones off superbrightleds.com if anyone wants specifics.

Also can I just string all of them together in series, I red on superbright leds that they only recomend 3 per chain, but couldnt I just get like 9 of em and not even bother with a resistor, assuming the voltage drops equal 12-13 volts.

Anyone that has any experience wireing random stuff in chime.

Each bulb is about 3V. You would need a min. of 4 bulbs (in series) to keep them from going out. Any # of bulbs you add after the fact would just make ALL the bulbs slightly dimmer. With the right bulbs, you would ONLY need 4 per area. Ex. 4 under each seat, 4 in the glove, etc. I rigged a few into my map/dome lights and they light up the whole interior. Not enough to see a map maybe but bright enough to reflect off of white objects.
    Arvin
    2003.5 Lazer Blue Mica Protege5

Comment

Ive found a few bulbs that run 1.6 volts and give off 1.5candela abd are diffused so they get a nice wide viewing angle. Ill probubly fill the car up with them and kind of make it glow.

And recomendations on how to tap the fuse box so I dont have to worry about anything burning out? How about switches can I get something that looks stock?

Comment

I have a few low-profile switches that would work. If you click on the link, they look exactly like the second one on that page. As far as fuses goes, you can tap into the cars fuse box or you can run your own in-line fuses. They sell 'em at the auto parts stores or even Radio Shack. You can also make them yourself with just a pair of female connectors and some electrical tape.

I've thought about doing a similar set-up myself but haven't found the time to do so. Let me know how it turns out and how you did it. I'm always game for new ideas.

Last edited by P5ALIVE; 12-29-2003, 11:10 AM.
        Arvin
        2003.5 Lazer Blue Mica Protege5

Comment

Working...
        X