My 323's days with me are numbered...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 323's days with me are numbered...

Recently I've realized that my 323 isn't the car I want/need it to be...it's supposed to be a nice daily driver, but it really isn't. It's slow and as such, I get fairly low mpg out of it since I'm constantly flogging it to merge with traffic or just feel like I'm going somewhere. I don't really care about mpg though, I'm more about squeezing fun out of the fuel I use, and the 323 doesn't do that very much either. The handling is sloppy compared to my other cars, way sloppy...I mean it does handle ok for what it is, but it's not good enough for me.

A daily driver should be a comfortable, easy to drive, nice car...my 323 is comfortable but the stereo is rubbish since the speakers all face the wrong ways. The car is pretty loud on the highway and around town when the throttle is used. lol Clutch engagement is bumpy and the motor mounts are far too soft. The left rear shock is clunking, I think it's the upper boot mount but haven't really looked.

After being around my dad's '93 PGT(especially after the new engine went in a few months back) and my brother's '93 MX-6 ZE, I've really REALLY grown fond of the KL V6...this engine, it's quiet when just driving, but when you add some spirit into it it makes that pretty tone and the cars really scoot. It's exactly what I want in a daily driver. So the search is on...I'm after a Protege 5. I want the utility of a hatch, ofcourse keeping it in the Mazda family, and having rear doors is useful too. The BJ chassis is great also, and after searching I've heard of a few other KL powered P5s aswell as sedans, and apparently it's not a difficult swap either. I'm going to do a DE most likely, to keep it simpler, and probably just a cone filter and stock-like exhaust. I might throw in a limited-slip diff to help with rain and snow.

Now, yes I did think about the KL swap in my 323, but at the end of it I'd be left with the engine I love in a 20 year old car that has flaws I hate. It's not worth it.

So, first things first I have to find a P5. KLs are in harvest at my brother's shop so that's not an issue. Then comes the hard part - letting go of the car I've spent ~16 years with(I'm 21 by the way). Not sure how much it's worth, I may list it on eBay and see what she does. It'll go with all of its original parts, that includes the seats, steering wheel, door panels, rear panels, radio, set of speakers, airbox, non-GTX grill, I'll throw in the GTX upper wing, black door handles, chrome door handles, rubber shift boot, tachless cluster, visors, steel spare wheel, etc etc. Man, it's gonna hurt.

Just a little heads-up on what's happening.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

word. P5 KLZE ftw. I've heard, but never seen. guess I need to get out more.

Don't worry, shedding the 323 may bring a tear to some, but some things must be left behind to continue your life.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Upgrade the suspension and brakes in the 323 then swap the bpt from the pro into the 323. Then do a de swap in the pro....there problem solved lol. In all reality its sad to see a car in such great shape go but I guess you have to do what you have to do.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
        Upgrade the suspension and brakes in the 323 then swap the bpt from the pro into the 323. Then do a de swap in the pro....there problem solved lol. In all reality its sad to see a car in such great shape go but I guess you have to do what you have to do.
        Well hopefully it'll go to a good Mazda owner's home. It really is in good shape except the paint sucks and it's got some rust on it. If I were to keep it, I would have to get it repainted, do the engine swap, do something with the suspension, etc...it's really not worth it, and I'm glad I've made this decision now before I put a lot more money into it.

P5s aren't all that expensive, and if I can find one with a bad engine or transmission it'll be a good deal. If anyone sees one for sale local let me know, I'm probably going to have to travel for this car anyway, just like my brother did for his '93 MX-6(he had to have black with black leather...well also this car came with the ZE in it and never run).

Looking for black(would complete my own black car mafia), silver, or blue. Possibly white. Red and yellow are last options.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

im looking for a cheap mazda for the g/f soon, what are you looking to get for it?
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
            im looking for a cheap mazda for the g/f soon, what are you looking to get for it?
            I'm really not sure, it only has 82K miles, about 3K miles on the 5 speed swap which included brand new Mazda clutch/throwout bearing/rear main seal/etc etc. Besides me(and I haven't done much), my dad is the only one to ever work on this car. Besides the small bits of rust, the single stage paint that's past its prime, and that clunk over certain bumps in the left rear, the only other thing wrong with the car is that the A/C compressor leaks and I haven't fixed it.

I don't want to sell the car until I have a P5 sorted, so it'll probably be a few months before I'm ready to part with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid View Post
              I'm really not sure, it only has 82K miles, about 3K miles on the 5 speed swap which included brand new Mazda clutch/throwout bearing/rear main seal/etc etc. Besides me(and I haven't done much), my dad is the only one to ever work on this car. Besides the small bits of rust, the single stage paint that's past its prime, and that clunk over certain bumps in the left rear, the only other thing wrong with the car is that the A/C compressor leaks and I haven't fixed it.

I don't want to sell the car until I have a P5 sorted, so it'll probably be a few months before I'm ready to part with it.
              cool, the A/C would be a big thing for her since this is florida. i got a month or so to find somethin since she can drive my 323 for now
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Ryan, I can't wait to see your price on her....

Originally posted by MazKid View Post

You have some cool mods on her.

I have made some mods to mine that mimick yours.

Mine has air-cold too 48 at the vents!!

I need to do something about the broken lugs, debating on what to do about the all in one spindle-bearings-rotors, that is messed up!

182k and 45 mpg. I got to fix the brake problem, Now!!

Email me with your ad when you are ready to sell her!
                David
                sigpic Ky

Comment

Working...
                X