Trouble reading CD-R's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble reading CD-R's

I have a 99 Protege LX with a factory CD player, and over the course of the past few months, it has slowly refused to play my burnt CDs. When I put the CD in it will make the usual scanning noises, and after 10-30 seconds of this it will either start playing or will give up and spit the CD out. Also, once it is playing, it is impossible to scan through tracks as the CD player scans through an entire song in about half a second. If anyone know what the problem is, I would appreciate it if you could help me out.
    Personal 1/4 mile: 57 sec @ 14 mph
    Haven't tried with the pro yet...

it's just the stock HU having problems. i think they all do that eventually. i'd say it's time to upgrade if you've got a lot of mp3's, get one that plays that, cause i love putting in one cd, and not taking it out over the course of my 5.5 hour trip from FL to SC every other weekend

Comment

Yeah it is just the stock hu. My friend has a 99 DX with the stock cd player and his won't allow you to skip through tracks either.

Comment

Any recommendations for a decent HU? Looking for something that would be about on-par with the stock one.

Comment

Originally posted by ProtonPants
          Any recommendations for a decent HU? Looking for something that would be about on-par with the stock one.

how much you looking to spend? do you want mp3 playback?

Comment

I want something pretty close to stock spec. The ability to play MP3s would be nice though. I'm not sure about the pricing for a decent one, but I think $200 would be a reasonable limit.

Comment

have you tried cleaning the hu??? it might be that, i believe you can buy a cleaning kit for cd players, and maybe save yourself 200 bucks.
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I want something pretty close to stock spec. The ability to play MP3s would be nice though. I'm not sure about the pricing for a decent one, but I think $200 would be a reasonable limit.

this JVC headunit.
                for $140 shipped.
                i've got the highest JVC unit and love it. the lower ones incorporate some of the same features that mine has it's a great unit, and a killer price. it's about $200 on other sites, and it's on sale right now on thezeb

Comment

Looks good! Thanks. I was looking around at the electronics stores in my area, and I decided that I'll do the whole system. I'm thinking about putting in 4 of these Infinities that I liked and a HU. And maybe a sub/amp combo while I'm at it...hehe.

Comment

The JVC headunits rule. I have the Digifine unit in mine. It is incredible.

Comment

Looks good! Thanks. I was looking around at the electronics stores in my area, and I decided that I'll do the whole system. I'm thinking about putting in 4 of these Infinities that I liked and a HU. And maybe a sub/amp combo while I'm at it...hehe.

upgrading your HU and speakers will make a HUGE difference if you are thinking about getting an amp and sub, i would highly recomend getting a 4 channel amp, and run the front channels to a set of front components, and bridge the rears to a sub. or get something like this.
                      don't bother amping the rear speakers. how much total are you looking on spending? there are plenty of people on here along with myself that can recomend the best for your budget

Comment

Once I start looking at amps everything gets confusing... My original idea would have cost about $400 w/o installation, which I plan to do myself. If I wanted an amp and sub, I would need to add another $250. If you have any ideas that would keep me in the $600 range, I would like to hear them. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

$600 with or without headunit?

Comment

With. Basically, I want to have good sound quality, not window-rattling bass. I would like to spend around $600 for the whole system, but if you feel that to attain higher quiality sound I should spend more, than that's ok too. What I don't want is four 2000W subs in my trunk and hot seats.

Comment

HU: JVC for $140

front speakers: alpine typeR 5.25" components
                              $150 from the same site i bought mine.
                              i'll be making some adapter plates to put the mid-bass and tweeters in the stock 6x8 locations without a fiberglass pod on the back i'll sell you a set for $10 plus shipping. with a fiberglass pod will be more like $40, depending on how long they take to make. the fiberglass pod will increase the mid-bass performance and protect the speakers from water

rear speakers: alpine typeS 6x9's
                              $80 for some nice 6x9's that will compliment the front components.
                              they'll mount fine in the stock location, and don't need to be amped.

sub: 12" elemental designs K-series
                              $135 for one badass 12.
                              you can put it in a prefab sealed box for nice bass, without all the rattles you should be able to pick up a sealed box from a local shop for under $50.

amp: xtant reconditioned 3-channel amp
                              under $200 off e-bay.
                              the new model of that amp retails at $1200

wiring: knukonceptz 4 channel kit
                              $36 for nice wires.

all that's right around $800, but it'll be a sick setup

Comment

Working...
                              X