washing and waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

washing and waxing

I have a questions about washing and waxing a car?

Some of my questions are:

What should I use Turtle wax, mothers, Black Magic,etc?

What kind of car washing soap is best?

When do I use polishing compound, rubbing compound, clay bar or liquid clay bar?

How do I remove tar, tree sap, and other things

When applying the wax should I do it by hand, 20 dollar buffer or with a professional grade buffer?

What kind of builds buffing bonnets should I use?

Should I use wax or cleaner wax?

What usually do is wash the car with car wash soap and use the turtle was chemical to remove tree sap and tar and then I wax the car with a cheap 20 dollar buffer with a turtle wax hard shell wax.

Is there any thing I else can do to prolong the life of my paint, because I just had the car repainted, since the last paint on my 93 protege was falling off and the car was rusting. Could the fact that I never waxed the last paint have led it to being in bad condition and falling off.
    Last edited by ivan15; 06-18-2008, 04:21 PM.

meguires 3 step paint system works well. it is paint cleaner, then paint polish, then carnuba wax. car always looks great after.
    ---prakash

Comment

1. rubbing compound - only use it by hand to remove big scratches. top of the grittiness scale

2. buffing removes scratches and makes paint look newer, you use it on your whole car. it is in the middle of the grittiness scale

3. polishing is a final step to make everything look shinier, it is at the bottom of the grittiness scale. and on cars like ours, your time is better spent on other steps.

4. clay bars remove impurities stuck in the paint that just won't come off any other way.

at work we use lacquer wash to remove sap/tar. it works awesome.

i hang around professional detailers all day at work and i can honestly say it's amazing what they can do. it's seriously not the same car when they're done. depending on how nasty it is it's seriously probably worth the $100-300 to get your car professionally detailed once and then from there just try to maintain it yourself. they have all the best tools, the best chemicals (not available in stores), and do it 40 hours a week so they're good at it.

it costs too much to buy the right tools, so you will end up doing it without the right tools, and it will take days, and it won't turn out anywhere near as good.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X