Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea! It is aboutmy hood rattling sometimes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea! It is aboutmy hood rattling sometimes...

Is there any way to put in support bars on a 92 dx pro? maybe that will stop the rattling the hood makes whenever, it is going slow in reverse, or idling

there aren't 'support' bars types of solutions, but there are bandaid like fixes that may very well help hood rattle. first off, adjustment of your hood latch maybe in good order if your hoodlatch doesn't pull the hood down tight enough. the other thing would be a thorough coating of dynamat extreme AND dynamat hood liner.. here are some images of what i'm talking about.. it's just a foil backing that will help bond the entire hood together, and also lower any resonant engine noise or vibration that causes the hood to vibrate. this kit should be used in conjunction with your firewall IMO to help kill all engine noise you may be experiencing.
    step 1: tearing off the black hood liner under your hood and cleaning off any grease and debris

step 2:laying a layer of dynamat on in TWO of these fashions.. either just use a layer of matting over EVERYTHING like i have pictured here on my trunk lid

OR you can lay it in the grooves of your hood like pictured here and THEN use the dynamat hoodliner

this again, should help stiffen your hood, but there is no guarentee. personally, on the braces that line the underside of your hood, the sheet metal is usually held tightly to the bracing with tiny tabs that are adhered.. IIRC. tacking any loose tabs back down may help as well.. i'm not sure. good luck
    peace
    p.s. image and information curtousey of myself and http://www.dynamat.com
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2003, 01:48 AM.

Comment

i appreciate it man, ur always there to help me

Comment

old thread, cough, just waNTRED to let ya know, i fixed the poroblem with masking tape marker colored red lmao

Comment

yeh, i wouldn't drive under direct sunlight or heat over 80 degrees if i were you (eventual break down of adhesives, only to fall down and burn on your engine block) . good luck
          peace

Comment

i guess ill figure SOMEthing out

Comment

buddy, honestly the options i gave you before WOULD solve that problem.. i don't know that there is something cheap for this purpose, but those are the solutions. basically, 3 scenarios could be going on, either there is some body damage that has ****ed the hood up and has become warped due to it, the sheet metal is just flexing normally like it would with the exception that a rough idle makes this flimsyness (sp) audible, or hood latch is loose and needs readjusting
              peace
              Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2004, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Well, the reason the ghood was rattling is that the latch is sorta loose. using dynamat on the grooves on my hood would not have fixed it.

Comment

then fix the latch

Comment

the latch wans looose, the bar on the hood itself that goes into the latch has an indent in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X