4WD Steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4WD Steering rack

I have the front end apart on my 4WD. The plan is to replace all of the bushings, wheel bearings and power coat all (okay, most) of the hard parts. Here is my issue: the steering rack is a mess, it leaks from just about everywhere it can leak from.

I called the local parts house and they don't have a thing and I don't see anything on Corksports web-site. So, what are my options?

I have not tried Mazda. Anyone know if they still have seals and the like? Or have a good sourse for rebuilt racks?

I call the dealer. New rack (if you could get one) $800!!! There is a seal kit listed for about $70, but it is not curretly available (ETA: TBD).

Comment

I have a spare, it's in my dead BF GTX. I don't know for sure that it's the same item as on a 4wd protege but I can't see any visual difference. I don't think I wanna sell mine, but some research may show if finding a GTX rack is an option for you.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I'm fairly certain that the steering rack is unique to Protege 4WD (BG). But, I could be wrong. However, even if it would fit, my parts guys still can't get one!

I also don't know what is unique about the 4WD racks, maybe the mounts or length are different, or maybe it is only the steering ratio.

Comment

You'd be surprised at the similarities between the bf gtx and the bg 4wd pro... You can learn a lot from Jay... he has stage rallied both cars.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
          1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
          1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
          1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
          1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Heres the latest up date. I found a part number listing for the Reseal kit and I ordered it through my local parts house. The kit is supposed to cover the 2WD & the 4WD racks. It's only $30 so, it is worth the gamble.

I've never rebuilt a rack before, so it should be a good learning experence.

Comment

The FWD to 4WD racks are different? (I don't have my parts catalog pdf's with me) That throws a wrench in my plans.
              -Dave

Comment

The Mazda part numbers for the Power Rack are: BR71-32-110L (FWD) & BA1C-32-110C (AWD). Going a bit further the rack gear, inner tie rod ends, brackets and tubing all have seperate part numbers.

When you call the parts houses, they have a breakdown between FWD & AWD. AWD is listed as a dealer item. Call the dealer and the part number is still in the system, but none are available.

Now, I do not know HOW the racks are different. The 4WD supplement just states "the structure of the steering is basically same as 2WD models". Not sure what that means exactly. I don't have a copy of the regular workshop manual to compare specs. Maybe it is just that the steering ratio is different. Maybe a FWD rack will fit, but then the tie rods will be to short. I don't know, but my guess is that a FWD rack can be made to bolt it, but then the tie rods and hoses won't line up.

I have the engine and trans out of my car and it will be awhile before I get a new one (I'm doing suspension right now). If someone wants to stop in with a FWD or manual rack, we can fit it in place and see just how different they are. I would not want to try the experment on a car with the engine and trans in place: it might drive you insane.

Comment

I know the fws and awd racks are different, but don't know if the bf gtx and bg awd protege racks are different. I sure as hell ain't gonna try and compare 'em on the cars... I don't wanna go insane!
                  '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                  '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Not sure if this helps but i noticed that the 4wd tierods are shorter.I changed front knuckles from gt to 4wd sohc and the rods came out short.

Comment

One of the differences between the racks is the location of the PS inlets and outlets. The locations of the fittings are totally different so as the lines. I broke one of the PS hard lines on the rack and had to bend a 2WD one to fit since the dealer didn't have anything for me.

Comment

have you tried www.rockauto.com yet?

Maybe you will find some luck on there.
                        1988 323 GTX 5 speed
                        MODS: It's my garage art

1990 Miata 5 speed
                        MODS: Awaiting on GM goodness...

1990 Protege 4wd 5 speed
                        MODS: BPT/AWD swap, JSPEED Coilovers, MS3PRO

2000 Miata 5 speed
                        Stock with Bilstein Suspension Package
                        Chillin in the backyard with a rod knock

Comment

I got the Part number from Rockauto, but ordered the part though my local parts store. Price was about the same and I know the local guys.

The kit came in this week and I should be able to get the rack apart later this week. If the kit works, I'll post the part number.

Comment

If you mind paying shipping from Vienna, Austria to you, you maybe want my spare gt-r steering rack. I don't think i'll need it because mine doesn't make any problems. if anyone is interested, just PM. but i don't have stress selling it

Comment

Pictures

Here are some pic of the 4WD rack. If any one has access to a 2WD rack, it would be nice to see where the differences really are. Maybe it is only the hard lines?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X