some performance questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some performance questions

well im sort of new to this protege thing , and i do not know to much about performace tuning in general but i know some of you are very knowlageble in that so i have two things i am curious about .

the first beeing , i heard some people talking that it is possible to gain some power by playing with the timing , something to do with timing belt degrees or such , what the hell is this , i know i might not b sayting this correctly but i hope you guys know what i m refering to .

and the second is , is there any way to remove the 180 km/h cap on a 1st gen pro ?

thx in advance , David
    93 Protege 5spd SE 1.8 L SOHC

there isn't a 180km/h cap...
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

really ? well my car pushes fine untill it reaches 180 , then it stops pushing , like at 180 im in 4th at 5000 , sometimes it goes to 190 , but then drops back

Comment

jesus u canadians drive fast
        NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

i thought mine had a limiter too, till ill started modding it and the top speed went up. so i dont think there is a limiter on it
          i is dumb

Comment

what is this advanced timing mod u listed

Comment

Originally posted by skr33t_rac3r
              i thought mine had a limiter too, till ill started modding it and the top speed went up. so i dont think there is a limiter on it

and since your new to these boards, id like to introduce you to skr33t_ra3er. he races (and owns) 700hp chevelle's on a daily basis.

how fast is 180kph in mph? i think youd have to change the gearing to get a higher top speed.
              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

a turbo charger will remove that 180km/h cap. our cars hit is termial velicity about there. terminal velocity being definded as the velocilty in which the equasion of f=ma=0 is satisfied.

you have achieve a 0 net force, or all the friction the car faces is equal the the power produced by the engine. You can go about tweaking yout Tv bu either increasing power efficiency; a change in gearing, a ching in aerodynamics, or a change in power output.

quik conversion 100km/h = 60mph

as for the timing. if you advace the timming of the disty( rotate the disty so that the car ignites sooner. can increase the power. it is about a 1 hp gain that will cost you premium fuel. i personally would perfer to do a different mod, but hey that is just me.

do a search on timming advance,
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

thx for clearing it up , dude r u an engineer? , cuz im studying for that also

Comment

Carleton Aerospace Eng, what gave it away?
                    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                    So his engine he goosed
                    With much too much boost,
                    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Aerospace is what i want to take in University , the equation u used to explain indicates some kind of knowledge of mechanics, other might just explaing simply by , the engine can produce enough power , or stuff flike that ,

Comment

Working...
                      X