Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires

Ok, so I went to a local tire store, and was devestated to discover that there are very few decent tires for our stock rims. What are you guys using?
    M
    '88 323 DX ,Bone Stock
    '88 323 GTX, CAI, giant fmic, 3" exaust from the turbo back

13"s on my 323, I have Bridgestone Turanza LS-Ts. Great tires, very smooth, quiet, hold the road well even with the huge sidewalls, good in the rain/snow.

175/70 I think they are.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

my rims are 14s, I currently have 165/60/r14
      M
      '88 323 DX ,Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Morkaleb View Post
        my rims are 14s, I currently have 165/60/r14
        165? Should be 185/60s.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

what kind of tires are you looking for? what kind of driving? all seasons? autocross? summer tires? do you head up to the mountains snowboarding in the winter?

Comment

yep, type-o
            M
            '88 323 DX ,Bone Stock

Comment

ideally, I would like a good summer tire and a good winter tire. The roads here don't get plowed in the winter, so something that can deal with the snow for the half a dozen days where there is snow on the roads would be great. I"m not ready for autocross yet, but the car does see snow in the winter, both going up to snowshoeing locations, as well as a little in the city.
              M
              '88 323 DX ,Bone Stock

Comment

As a guy from Toronto who probably sees less snow than Van splurge a bit and buy a set of snows and a set of summer tires. That one time you stop just before hitting a car/ditch/deer/etc... that cost of the extra tires pays off. Last winter I came inches from rear ending another car three days after putting on my snows!

Right now on both my cars (GTX and Mazda3) I use Hankook. I'm loyal because the tires hol dup well, perform as good as any really expensive tire and generally are not crazy expensive.

Winters are the Ipike w409...they are truly amazing. Agressive for rally yet not too loud on the highway. For my GTX they ran me just over $400.

Summers I use the hankook venus summer tires. Good for auto cross (in the 3) and I havn't used them on the GTX yet.

As for sizes, winters are a 185 60 14 and the summers are a 195 60 14
                sigpic
                The Beater and the Race Car....guess which is which!
                Little boys play in the street, real men play in the dirt"

Comment

I am also a believer in having a full set of designated snow tires on separate rims. Most tires, like shoes, are specialized. Buying all-season tires is like buying Converse All-Stars or "cross-trainers" and using them for everything, all year-round. The downfall to having a second set of rims and tires is storage. I have four vehicles right now and therefore I'm storing 16 snow tires on rims. It gets a little crowded.

I just bought a full set of Kuhmo Ecsta ASTs that were mounted on Motegi MR-7 rims... 15 inch set-up. So new... they're still at the tire store waiting for me to pick them up. Currently, the GT is on Konig Tuners with BFG
                  G-Force Sports. My favorite tire on my car so far has been the Toyo Proxes 4s. Man, did they make my car handle great. Took 2nd place at the corksport summer event (slalom) in my old LX before switching them onto my GT. 808 is my witness. I don't expect that good of handling from my new Kuhmos, but then again, I didn't pay that much either. $61 a corner.

If money weren't an object, I probably would have bought the Yokohama S. Drives. The price isn't that outrageous but I know they would wear down fairly quickly so they'd have to be replaced sooner, too.
                  Last edited by LN323; 03-15-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X