Tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tune up

Since the holidays have passed, I have some extra cash to put into my car. now aside from having a body shop fix my hood, I want to have the thing running in great shape. so what I've been looking at is new spark plugs, and ignition wires. what else should I look at getting?

and now for the list of questions:

1. Platinum spark plugs versus regular, and what is the deal with platinum 4? good, or collosal cash grab? any particular brand?
    2. the cheapest set of ignition wires is $50 the next ones up the line are $100 and most of the rest of the brands are in the $100 range. what is wrong with the $50 ones (neiberhoff, or some german name like that), and once again any particular brand is better?
    3. PIAA Headlights? Xenon? Hyper Blue? Wtf?

and of course, one again anything else I should look at getting.

I'm having the oil, and filter changed as well, so no need to mention that. I'd do it myself, but the guy I talked to said he do an inspection as well (for $50) see if he could find any trouble spots.

In other news, I went by the dealership today, because no one in this god forsaken city has 4F paint, and as I was drooling over an RX-8 the dealer asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. of course I accepted, and DAMN! I gotta get one of those.

I was curios (sp?) because I recall one of my buddies, who restores muscle cars telling me that I should go with higher conductivity ones, higher current and all that makes for better gas mileage and performance. but seeing as I'm putting cheap gas in it, it probably makes no difference at all.

Comment

i like a quality sparkplug wire cap and rotor. i go for bosch components, the same brand that is original eqipment on most porsche, vw, mercedes, and other fine automobiles.

bosch, or any other brand for that matter, wont give you any more power. what bosch will do is give you a component that will last longer.
      bosch makes several types of sparkplugs, and most of the high power vw's and porsches use bosch supers, not the platnum +4's. just regular $2.00 a piece bosch supers.

=$'s and 3's and platnum for that matter, are mostly for a spesfic enging design. thats not to say they wont work on other engines though. i know the jetta dohc 1.8 comes from the factory with +3's. it is the only engine i know of that would benefit from a multi electrode sparkplug.
      hey i figure if its good enough for porsche and vw, its good enough for mazda.
      find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

I use NGK plugs in both the 323 and the Protege. I have heardthat the Bosch +4 plugs do nothing but make your car burn gas.

For a complete tune up ..
        change your
        plugs
        wires
        disty cap and rotor
        --------------
        check your coolant
        check your valve cover gasket for leaks
        check your distributor gasket for leaks.
        --------------
        Read your Mazda Manual ..
        It gives plenty of information on what to look for during tune ups.
        Also remember to check your Ball Joints and your Tie Rods

Bruce
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

iono but i always keep with better quality i figure pay a little more now or pay alot more later this is how i ended up spendin about 105 bucks on plugs(25 for all ) and wire(70) maybe thas jus my preference but only the best for my car ya kno

Comment

Originally posted by bp 1.8
            i like a quality sparkplug wire cap and rotor. i go for bosch components, the same brand that is original eqipment on most porsche, vw, mercedes, and other fine automobiles.

hey i figure if its good enough for porsche and vw, its good enough for mazda.
            Because when someone says Porsche or VW, I think "reliability"

Just get NGk plugs and wires...they're cheap and they work better then anything else for the money. Hell they work better then most plugs that cost twice as much.

Comment

Just get NGK V power copper plugs, 1.99 each.

ngk and denso's copper plugs never fail me, turbo or not.

just change them often, i change mine every 3 oil change or one year.

just get the oem replacement wires, they are very long lasting as far as i know.
              I am still running my stock ngk wires for my turbo. before buying a set, check the resistance of the wires with a ohmmeter, go to autozone and rent one.
              if the resistane is low and even then your wires are still good.

Bosch's platinum is good, but not on japanese import, they are good for vw as far as i know. bosch's 4x p is not even gapped and close doesnt count

Comment

check your owners manual
                stick with OE parts for things like plugs and wires

dont try to get power from them, cause you wont

apparently the osram silverstars are really good bulbs

Comment

Working...
                X