Painting this cover...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting this cover...

well, there isnt much I can do as of now money wise, but I have deicded that the money I have,ill spend now, and whnever i start working ill earn the money for the kits.... I want to paint this (cam cover?) i believe thats what its called lol, well I want to take it off and paint it red ...I am wondering maybe, because of the heat from the engine, I would need a special kind of paint, if i can find a pic i will post it

i think you mean the valve cover and talk to cable(the founder of this site if ya dont know) he has an red cover on his old sohc engine he pulled out of his pro, he might give it up for you
    No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

well, im talking to him, I think hes busy, im just wondering if anyone knows what kind of paint i should use

Comment

engine paint/ heat paint

pretty stright forward
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Caliper paint will do the job also as it's high temp paint and is usually cheaper than the 'special' engine paint they sell.
          -------------------------
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
          -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

thanks

Comment

be sure too clean it very well or the paint will statr to come off
              i is dumb

Comment

I agree with what was said above. I used caliper paint and it stands up to the heat very well. But like str33t said, clean very very well or it will peel quickly.
                Chris
                MX-3turbo
                BPT engine swap, Protege Filled Engine mounts, Protege Tranny, Protege Axels, Protege Flywheel, ACT Street Performance Clutch, Spearco Intercooler with Custom End Tanks, Custom Intake, Custom Piping, Custom Exhaust, Konig Mozart Muffler, Walbro Fuel Pump, Pacesetter Adjustable Short Shifter, CorkSport Front and Rear Strut Bars, SRD Lower Tie Bar, Magnecor 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires, MSD 6A Ignition, Blaster II Coil, A'PEXi S-AFC, GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer, 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 820watt Power Acoustic Amp, Autometer Guages, Blue Underbody Neons, GS Spoiler, MS Side Skirts, and ADR Fuel Rims(17"x7").

Comment

thanks for the advice, ill get around to doing it some time

Comment

post belongs in the aesthetic mods section
                    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

ph, sorry gro

Comment

i plan to do the same thing when i get the engine, cablemircs sohc looked really nice!
                        One day you are born,
                        The next big milestone
                        you discover go zoom-zoom
                        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

cablemirc's paint job provided you with the perfect method of painting your valve cover without ripping apart your valve cover or needing to replace the valve cover gasket sheerly by masking off everything around the valve cover. personally, i'd recommend pulling the valve cover out, masking off the lettering and covering the bottom end of it to prevent overspray. it'd be less tedious and more detailed, however, you'd be out the 20 to 30 for sealant and a new valve cover gasket.. which could also be seen as a bit of preventative maintenance. good luck
                          peace

Comment

if you bought a decent valvecover gasket you can remove the cover and put it back on it without any worries about the gasket. this isn't like a head gasket.
                            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                            So his engine he goosed
                            With much too much boost,
                            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i have mazda'z valve cover gasket on. cost me like 30 bucks I think
                              Current Cars
                              94 DX, 97 Corolla
                              Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

Comment

Working...
                              X