Stock igniter trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock igniter trigger

I am in the process of finishing my MS assembly (I finally had time to come back to it) and I will be using external igniters to fire 2 coils (wasted spark). Does anyone know what voltage the stock igniters require to be triggered? In the FSM, page G15, it looks like a ground switching circuit but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks

Here's the map I made up when I installed my MS. I use a wasted spark ingniter but it'll work the same with two.

I hope that helps...

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Thanks,

The external wiring is not a problem, I will simply use 2 stock igniters outside the MS triggering them through pins 36 and 6 (spare 4). What I need is the internal circuit in the MS. I don't feel too confident connecting the 2 spark pins of the ECU directly to the igniters. Basically, I want to know what you did inside the MS to drive these igniters, what is the circuit between the CPU pins and the DB37 connector.

Thanks

Comment

I'm 99% sure they're 5V ignitors. If they are, you'll need a pullup resistor on the spark outputs. Try a 1k resistor, tying it to 5V. That should do it.
        Ask me about engine management!

Comment

Oh sorry...yes I used a 1k pullup resistor for each igniter. If it's a Mazda igniter (Mitsubishi) a 1k pullup should work just fine.

Comment

Ok, I'm a bit confused about this. From the following diagram, it looks like the igniter is inverse logic, meaning that the ecu holds the voltage at 5v and goes to 0 to trigger the igniter, it's active low. Is this right?

In that case, I will just tap the output between the LEDs and the Q6 (and Q8) transistors since the circuit is already there and add a 1K pull up resistor. Does that make sense?

Edit: I don't even need the pull up resistor, 4.3 Volts will be enough to power the igniters anyways.?!?!
            Last edited by 323driver; 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Here is the FSM diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	igniter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1213685

Comment

Anyone can confirm?

Comment

Yes that is right...

I did my mods according to diyautotune.com's miata write up.

Comment

Working...
                  X