Sub Box Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub Box Help

I am getting ready to update my sound system with some better products. Right now I am running two 12" MTX 4000's in a open box with a 600w Profile California series amp. The trunk rattles like hell, and I was wondering if I got a sealed box if that would help eliminate some of the rattle. And if so, what kind of sealed box would you recommend. Remember I want something good looking as well.

not sure about the rattles but you could just get a premade box sealed and then build your trunk setup around the box... thats what I did. looks pretty clean IMO

Comment

That was the thought. I just wonder about the quality of a bandpass box. But you should be glad to hear I will be using two 12" Alpine Type R's.

Comment

What is everyone's thoughts on the boxes on ebay that go for around $50 or so?

Comment

Best way to keep the trunk from rattling is dynamat or something of the sort... ask blueLEDz what kind to use. I put some on my back deck and it gave me just about twice the volume before things started rattling.

Comment

Yeah once I get all the new equipment in the car I will check it out. If it rattles then I will look into some dynomat.

Comment

what exactly rattles? upgrading to 2 better subs, even if they are going in a sealed box, will still make **** rattle i'm assuming your rear deck, spoiler, liscense plate, and possibly the seat belt mechanisms rattle. all can be fixed without spending much money and if you are spending the money on two decent subs, why not spend the money on a good custom built box? the box is what controls 90% of the sound. i tell people that they should spend more on the box than the subs i can make a $40 sub sound like a $200 sub in a good box, but a ****ty box can make a $200 sub sound like a $40 sub it's all about the box.

Comment

I am getting alot of rattle from the rear deck so I might just first look into some dampening products. And yeah a custom box sounds like a good idea. My big problem right now is deciding what I want to spend my money on. I am tempted to go with a complete custom system for shows.

Comment

if it's your rear deck, dynamat won't help that much with my old 15 setup the rear deck literally jumped and broke the fasteners that thing rattled like hell against the back window. the 3rd brake light is the worst. put some thin weather stripping around that, and the back edge of the rear deck, where it meets the glass. then listen to see if the bottom side needs a little padding $2 worth of weather stripping will take car of 90% of the rattles of a normal system

Comment

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I have a feeling that the rattling is the result of me not getting everything in securely when I re-assembled the interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
                      Thanks I'll give that a shot. I have a feeling that the rattling is the result of me not getting everything in securely when I re-assembled the interior.

reason #5,039 for why i don't have all my interior in my car not getting it back in securely

Comment

Yeah I know how you feel. I might see what I can remove from the rear deck and see if that helps matters at all. For the most part I got all the interior back in, except for that one mystery piece that I never figured out. You should see my nice collection of screws that never went back in either.

Comment

take a pic of the mystery part and post it, there's a good chance i might remember where it goes that or i'll have the same piece sitting in my shed collecting dust:p:

Comment

Alright Blue here is another question for you. Since I am going the complete show route which entails the need for a kick ass system, a thought popped into my head. I was thinking about adding another 12" sub along with the other 2 I am ordering. I want to mount it in the floor facing up, somewhere in the center. Now this would put it right above the hole for the spare tire, so, how would I go about mounting it? I am assuming I would need some sort of custom box correct?
                            Last edited by McCorkle; 01-02-2004, 01:49 AM.

Comment

yep, that'll definitely need a custom box. if you are going with 3 for show, i'd go completely custom fiberglassed through the whole trunk. 2 subs mounted normally, one inverted there isn't a huge need for the 3rd sub, as it won't create as big of a difference as going from one to 2.
                              for something easy, make something like asylum24's setup, except with 3 subs facing the rear. then mount the amp(s) on the sides, behind the wheel well. and put a spare rim in the center of your trunk. to do that, you'll probably want to inver the outer 2 subs, and keep the middle one mounted regular with those 2 inverted, keep in mind that their air chambers need to be smaller than the one that is regular.

Comment

Working...
                              X