fog light chime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fog light chime

it seems like whenever i get out of my car at nite and the foglights are on(aftermarket foglights), i always forget to turn them off so i have to unlock my car, turn them off, then lock it again. so i was thinking of a way to splice into the headlight chime thing. i was wondering if i could take the power wire from my foglights, and splice that into my headlight power wire. any ideas? will this work or will it short something out possibly?
    '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
    18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

I would do it some other way.. cuz if you spliced into the power wire taht means everytime you have your headlights on the fogs are on... you couldnt have them be on or off with teh headlights on or off.... not sure if you could splice into the chimming mechanism though... if you could hta might work

Comment

well, i checked with my dad since he knows quite a bit about cars, he's the parts manager at a nissan dealership. he said i'd have to find the chime mechanism, trace that back to the fuse block, and then tap into the wires at the box. i might still try and do this, but it sounds like it might be more work than i'd like to do. the switch does light up so i can always tell if they're on that way. i just thought i'd be nice to have a chime with it. i will let you all know if i do this though and how it goes.

Nismo CAI

Comment

why don't you put the ignition wire from your foglight and put it on a fuse like the a/c or radio so when the car is on, you can turn them on or off as you wish and when you turn the car off, it shuts them off automatically.
        '02 classic red p5
        currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by walight01
          why don't you put the ignition wire from your foglight and put it on a fuse like the a/c or radio so when the car is on, you can turn them on or off as you wish and when you turn the car off, it shuts them off automatically.
          ya, what he said...just change the power connection from constant to switched. Easiest way is to grab the thick ignition wire at the main loom under the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
            ya, what he said...just change the power connection from constant to switched. Easiest way is to grab the thick ignition wire at the main loom under the dash.
            i finished this little project today. when i hooked up my cd changer i had to put a wire in the fuse box(the one under the dash on the driver's side). so i just took the wire that was going to the battery and hooked it up to another unused place on the fuse box(with an inline fuse). works great. when i turn the car on and the foglight switch is on, they come on. when i turn the car off, with the switch on or off, they turn off. thanks for the ideas guys.

Nismo CAI

Comment

Originally posted by sileighty21
              i finished this little project today. when i hooked up my cd changer i had to put a wire in the fuse box(the one under the dash on the driver's side). so i just took the wire that was going to the battery and hooked it up to another unused place on the fuse box(with an inline fuse). works great. when i turn the car on and the foglight switch is on, they come on. when i turn the car off, with the switch on or off, they turn off. thanks for the ideas guys.
              take note that by doing this (lights on when car starts) it will shorten the life of the bulbs. Not drmatically, but still somewhat.

Comment

hmm. . ..i think im goin to rewire my foglights power source to an ignition source (but keep the switch). .. and then build a delay circuit on it so if my foglights are on and i turn off the car, the fogs will stay on for like a minute and then shutoff. ...kinda like the pathway lights on other cars to help you find your way when its dark outside
                2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
                OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
                Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
                sun ground kit
                5spd sunroof
                Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
                7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
                6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

ignition source would be the best. so you could use the fogs as daytimes drivin lights , but they would always turn off after igniton is turned off. I had mine spliced into the parking light. Now i could STILL turn them on and off. I ran the turnon wire from the fogs, inside to a switch then back out to the parking light. so whenever i had the parking lights on and flipped my switch the fogs could come on. I liked it cause i could always turn my lights on with my Parking lights.....

just my .02
                  Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                  Beige 1994 Protege DX
                  Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Do all 1st gen's have a chime for the lights? Mine doesnt make any noise with the key out like my Mustang does. Sometimes I have to do the unlock turn off thing as well.
                    1991 Protege DX 5- Speed.Tilt Wheel Cone filter with adapter. Red with Black interior
                    1989 Mustang lx 5.0 vert Blue with white leather interior,pulleys and fender mount cold air kit FOR SALE

Comment

some do, some don't, and it's this nice annoying *beep beep beep* ... personally, i hate reminder noises. being that i've drained my battery once from leaving dome lights or foglights on, i sympathize with ya, but i still freakin forget..
                      peace

Comment

Working...
                      X