2 questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions.

1. i just bought a 1990 SE with like 190Kmiles. is there anything i should know about it? and are there any really cheap mods i should do? (AT car)

2.A. it doesnt have a tach. wtf. but anyway where is the thing on the ignition for an aftermarket one?

2.B. what is the bolt pattern on it (size between lugs)? i want different wheels. 13 inch wont cut it. although it does handle fairly well despite its handicapped tires. acceleration kinda sucks though.

AND. if anyone has questions about Car audio ask me i can help. if you dont want to ask be or dont beleive that i know what im talking about check out

Hi and welcome to the club. Congrats on the purchase, I am sure you'll end up loving the Protege. Now to answer your questions. There are many small things you can do to spurce up the look and performance. Here's a recent thread that should give you some ideas:

Try finding a Protege LX in your local junkyards. The LX model has a cluster with a tach and it is a direct swap with your current cluster. You can also look for one on Ebay as I see them on there quite often.

The wheels are a 4X100mm bolt pattern. The LX model has 14" wheels, which you might like also. If not, the newer Proteges have very good looking wheels with the same bolt pattern.

Just be carefull, because once you start messing with the car it becomes a quick addiction.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Regarding any other questoins you may have, check out the Protege FAQ as it has a lof of info that you might find helpful:
      '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

thanks for the links. i will have more questions later im sure

Comment

Originally posted by 1967cutlass
          thanks for the links. i will have more questions later im sure
          No problem. A lot has been covered on this forum so the 'search' button might turn out to be a good friend.
          '91 LX

Comment

If I were you, invest the money to get the timing belt changed. See what the condition of the water pump is. Have someone reset your timing.

Replace:

Upper and lower radiator hoses
            both drive belts
            change the engine oil
            check the trany fluid
            put NGK coopers spark plugs in
            spark plug wires
            cap
            rotor
            NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

I don't think the 7k redline cluster would be that big of a deal if it's an auto anyway, it's not going to shift that high
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                although in the best intention, Identity X is correct for the source of the part you need, but not in the part itself you will need for your SE.
                Those damn SE models always confuse me. So, a regular LX cluster will not fit in his SE?
                '91 LX

Comment

it doesnt matter so much anyways because i have like 4 tachs laying around, all i have to do is plug it in to the car and mount it somewhere. im just pretty sure their ignition system doesnt have a coil so i just want to know where the pickup for the tach is under the hood/ in the dash?

i have a timing belt for it actually there was one in the car when i got it but the one in use seems alright. i will get those plugs and change the oil pretty soon however.

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                    Those damn SE models always confuse me. So, a regular LX cluster will not fit in his SE?

I own a 323 SE, and it is almost the exact same as the pro SE, and the LX cluster fit perfectly in mine.?.?.?.?

I dont know...worth a shot.
                    Good Luck and happy modding.
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

No it will fit the tach will just be off cause its 7k not 6k

Comment

the gearing in the 2 tachs are the same. it is just where the redline appears. have somone in canada source you a 6k redline gauge. canada only got the SOHC engine so there are several tachs up here.
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

ok once i get the guages how do i hook them up? are the wires color coded or somthing?

Comment

pull the whole cluster, then swap clusters, then change the faceplates.
                            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                            So his engine he goosed
                            With much too much boost,
                            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Working...
                            X