4 wheel disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 wheel disc

I have a 98, 1.5L model, has rear drum brakes. Its time to change the pads, but at a quoted $129 from the local shop, i was wondering about doing rear disc brakes.

If doing the upgrade, id go with performance parts, so where should i look?

Will I need to replace the front brake assemblies? Or how would i address the brake bias issue?

Ok just to clarify
    You DON'T want to pay 129 for a rear brake job.
    You would rather pay $80 a caliper+new spindles+new rotors+proportioning valve+performance pads.

And seeing as you went to a shop to change rear drums you wouldn't be doing this yourself and Its going to be about 5 shop hours at the minimum
    So high estimate $1k all said in done.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
      Ok just to clarify
      You DON'T want to pay 129 for a rear brake job.
      You would rather pay $80 a caliper+new spindles+new rotors+proportioning valve+performance pads.

And seeing as you went to a shop to change rear drums you wouldn't be doing this yourself and Its going to be about 5 shop hours at the minimum
      So high estimate $1k all said in done.
      Actually, I may do the job myself. Ive got mechanical experience, though not specifically with brakes, and i have friends that do have the experience, most likely the tools, that would help me. Granted Im not going to start something if there is any doubt that I cant finish the job and finish it correctly, hence the inquiry here.

I went to a shop for rotation (for the alignment) and oil change, they mentioned that the rear pads were low - 129 was the quoted price to replace them.

In my own searches, i havent specifically found 98 mazda protege parts. So im mostly looking for direction in regards to product.
      Last edited by Penguin; 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
        Actually, I may do the job myself. Ive got mechanical experience, though not specifically with brakes, and i have friends that do have the experience, most likely the tools, that would help me. Granted Im not going to start something if there is any doubt that I cant finish the job and finish it correctly, hence the inquiry here.

I went to a shop for rotation (for the alignment) and oil change, they mentioned that the rear pads were low - 129 was the quoted price to replace them.

In my own searches, i havent specifically found 98 mazda protege parts, but from what i hear, it seems like mazdaspeed parts swap nicely. So im mostly looking for direction in regards to product.
        what mazdaspeed parts?
        95 ES
        05 S60R

Comment

Originally posted by goodorange View Post
          what mazdaspeed parts?
          Bleh, disregard that. I dont know what im talking about.

I just dont know where to go for performance parts: some place online or would autozone have something?

And then the bias issue - going from stock drums to performance rated disc brakes would cause issue, whats the best way to fix that? (replace front brakes, adjust bias...?)

Comment

Just replace the shoes in the drums. No need for more braking power when nothing else major has been changed performance wise. I still have drums, probably most of us do, and personally, i think they are adequate enough. Save some money, do it yourself, and use OEM replacements.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Squeekster1 View Post
              Just replace the shoes in the drums. No need for more braking power when nothing else major has been changed performance wise. I still have drums, probably most of us do, and personally, i think they are adequate enough. Save some money, do it yourself, and use OEM replacements.
              Well I would like to mod the car overall. I dont have a goal for power gains, and the time span for the completion of these mods isnt any time soon, but neither do my brakes have to be done this instant.

In general I dont know anywhere but the dealer i can get parts for the protege. Il do more searching/research for the next thing i want to replace, but for now my only question is brakes - and again I havent found any place but the expensive dealer.

Comment

Working...
              X