Announcement

Collapse

Merged Threads

All threads have been merged into regional general discussions.
If you need a thread moved to a specific state, Please PM a moderator
See more
See less

A.M.E.C. Economy Run [fuel mileage contest!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.M.E.C. Economy Run [fuel mileage contest!]

Greetings fellow hypermilers. For those of you located in the northeast, the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club A.M.E.C. will be holding a Fall Foliage "Economy Run" coming up this October 5, 2008.

A little history: A.M.E.C. held it's first Economy Run back in 1954. Now 54 years later with record high fuel prices, the club decided to bring the event back. Our members created a new course and the event took place this past August 10th. It was very well received and was thoroughly enjoyed by all who participated. Results can been seen here. It was a good dry run to make sure everything went smoothly and that our laptop excel program worked properly to calculate the results. We enjoyed it so much that we have planned an "Economy Run II" and this time would like to open it up to like minded individuals who would like to join us. To keep it easy to manage and fun we will limit registration to the first 20 entrants.

Here are the details:

What: Fuel mileage contest through the southern Adirondacks of NY. The route will be on some really nice scenic and challenging roads and will run 106.3 miles in distance. Your “economic” driving ability will be tested. Cars will be filled with fuel by an AMEC official and then weighed on electronic scales. Small ramps are employed for easy on and off of the scales. Any street legal vehicle is allowed to participate, [including motorcycles].This event will run rain or shine.

Where: The starting spot will be at the Fairway Oil gas station on Route 5 in Fonda, NY. [directions below].

When: Sunday, October 5th, 2008. Arrival time will be 8:00-8:30am, first car off at 9:00am. They have gas and diesel and have a large enough parking lot that we won’t be in the way. (They also don’t use ethanol, if that makes a difference to anyone.)

Cost: $10 per vehicle

Awards include:

1. Best overall mpg for gas cars

2. Best overall mpg for diesel and hybrid cars

3. Best ton-mile per gallon [TMPG] vehicle weight in pounds, divided by 2000, times miles driven, divided by gallons consumed. A handy calculator is here.

4. Best carbureted mpg

5. Best miles per dollar. [Based on the actual cost to travel the 106 miles. For example, we had a diesel VW Jetta get 56 mpg and a Dodge Avenger get 48 mpg. Because the diesel fuel was about a dollar more per gallon than the gasoline, the Avenger won this contest.]

Note: If we get more than one motorcycle we will add a class for them.

Awards: This event will conclude about noon, and our plan is to proceed up the nearby Checkers Out Go-Kart track for lunch, awards, and optional indoor go-kart races if you so desire. Checkers Out Speedway is an indoor go kart track open year round, and is located about ¾ of a mile south of Johnstown, NY, on NYS Route 30A. Physical address: 2299 State Hwy 30A Johnstown, NY 12905. Track phone: 518 736-4630

Directions: to Fairway Oil gas station: Take NY Thruway Exit 28. After the toll booth, turn left onto Riverside Drive. Then turn right onto South Bridge Street and go over the bridge. On the other side of the bridge is a traffic light. You can see Fairway Oil and Gas on your left. Turn left onto Route 5 and enter the station.

To register for this event: Please contact Mike Kamm at (518) 674-0520 or via email: mkamm [at ] juno [ dot] com. Or just simply reply to this thread with your name, year/model car. There is also a message board thread regarding this event on the A.M.E.C. message board here.

Registered driver's list as of 9-6-08

1. Dave Burnham - 1991 Diesel VW Jetta
    2. Dick Vedder - 2000 Ford ZX2 S/R
    3. Mark Long - 1997 Dodge Avenger
    4. Mike Kamm - 1977 Datsun B210 mpg
    5. Claude Hutchings - 1999 Saab 9-3
    6. Ernie Yue - 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    7. Ronny Kienhuis - 1972 Citroen SM or 1992 Subaru SVX
    8. "Bestmapman" [Clean mpg forums] 2007 Toyota Prius, Cincinnati, KY.
    9. "JPS000" - 2008 Toyota Prius
    10. Al Walker - [Clean MPG] - 2004 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA
    11. Brian Wilsey - 2003 Mazda Protege [2.0]
    12. Tom Moeller - 1994 Mazda Miata - Saratoga NY
    13. Carl Germain - 1950 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe
    14. Bill Clark - 1960 Metropolitan convertible - Endicott, NY

Check out my 4WD Compact Car thread.

Hope that Miata's got a hardtop and longer gears.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
      I don't think he's got either. What's the best mileage you've gotten from your Miata?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
        It'll still do better than most of the cars out there, an avenger and an svx come on.
        Never kept up with saab vehicles so I can't comment on that one. I still don't understand why these "hypermiller" people just don't buy geo metros. They get 60mpg. They don't destroy the planet the way the prius does in its construction and its not horribly inflated in price.

Also to OP you've block all the air going in to the front bumper no?
        Last edited by Kitty; 09-07-2008, 10:41 AM.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
          It'll still do better than most of the cars out there, an avenger and an svx come on.
          Never kept up with Saab vehicles so I can't comment on that one. I still don't understand why these "hypermiller" people just don't buy geo metros. They get 60mpg. They don't destroy the planet the way the prius does in its construction and its not horribly inflated in price.

Also to OP you've block all the air going in to the front bumper no?
          That SVX got 30 mpg! That's killer for one of those. This event is more of a challenge to test your driving and in some cases, modding skills. You don't have to start with a car that gets great mileage to enjoy it. The joy comes from improving what you've got.

I'm not sure what OP means means, but my Protege's front end still has plenty of air for cooling. That was no problem at all. If you look again you'll see the licence plate wide slot I left [just under the plate] for cooling air. You have to understand that when the factories design a car, they have to design it to operate under all driving conditions. This includes towing a trailer at 120 deg. in Death Valley uphill with five people in the car. So the amount of grill / bumper area given to cool the engine is way overkill for 99% of the conditions we operate the car in. I find this stuff very interesting.

In fact I just bought one of these as a tool to really sharpen my Protege's fuel mileage:

It can also diagnose check engine light codes and clear them. I needed a scan tool anyway and this thing does it all!

After driving my wife's Saab I really came to appreciate the onboard fuel mileage display features. Now I can have the same in my Protege. It is the only way to really know whether a particular fuel saving driving technique actually works or not. Their website is here.

Comment

Originally posted by blownb310 View Post
            I don't think he's got either. What's the best mileage you've gotten from your Miata?

Mike
            Averaged 30mpg on one tank with the top up driving conservatively. Mixture of highway and in-town driving.

Usually 27-28 is the norm (the snarl from the exhaust past 5000 rpm is pretty irresistible)
            sigpic

Comment

Also, B210s are dope.

I want one with a CA18, dropped on some Hayashi Street Fins.
              sigpic

Comment

Registered driver's list as of 9-20-08

1. Dave Burnham - 1991 Diesel Jetta - Delanson, NY
                2. Dick Vedder - 2000 Ford ZX2 S/R - Johnstown, NY
                3. Mark Long - 1997 Dodge Avenger - Staatsburg, NY
                4. Mike Kamm - 1977 Datsun B210 - Averill Park, NY
                5. Claude Hutchings - 1999 Saab 9-3 - Saquiot, NY
                6. Ernie Yue - 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc - Mechanicville, NY
                7. Ronny Kienhuis - 1972 Citroen SM or 1992 Subaru SVX - Long Island, NY
                8. Jud Engels [Clean mpg forums] 2007 Toyota Prius - Cincinnati, KY.
                9. "JPS000" - 2008 Toyota Prius
                10. Al Walker - [Clean MPG] - 2004 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA
                11. Brian Wilsey - 2003 Mazda Protege - Amsterdam, NY
                12. Tom Moeller - 1994 Mazda Miata - Saratoga NY
                13. Carl Germain - 1950 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe - Syracuse, NY
                14. Bill Clark - 1960 Metropolitan - Endicott, NY
                15. Jonathan Bartlett - 2005 Passat TDI wagon[Biodiesel] - Sterling, MA
                16. Pam Subik - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Mayfield, NY
                17. Tom Compoli - 1981 VW Rabbit - Schenectady, NY
                18. Chris Werner, 1991 Ford Festiva - Troy, NY

This event will be completely full shortly. What I will do is add 3 more spots for cancellations and no shows.

Comment

This event was a big success and full results are HERE.

This was taken at the checkpoint. This modified RX-7 got the worst mileage of the entire field at only 21.45 mpg. The average for the entire meet was an impressive 49.56 mpg. The Datsun B210 behind it got 61.53 mpg!

atomicEGT, the stock Miata got 41.17 mpg.

Comment

Hah, that's no fun.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X