OBDII protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBDII protocol

Does anyone know what's the OBDII protocol used in a 2nd gen Protege? I thought it's ISO but I'm having doubts.

Originally posted by TheMAN
    ISO 9141
    *sigh of relief*
    thanks man...

Comment

for the noob in the crowd. What application does this have?

Comment

What is OBD-II?

On-Board Diagnostic systems are in most cars and light trucks on the road today. During the '70s and early 1980's manufacturers started using electronic means to control engine functions and diagnose engine problems. This was primarily to meet EPA emission standards. Through the years on-board diagnostic systems have become more sophisticated. OBD-II, a new standard introduced in the mid-'90s, provides almost complete engine control and also monitors parts of the chassis, body and accessory devices, as well as the diagnostic control network of the car.
        As for the protocol, there are three different protocols -- PWM, VPW, and ISO. Different car manufacturers use different protocols, and I wasn't completely sure if my Mazda is using the ISO protocol.

The OBD-II connector (located underneath the steering wheel) is used to interface with the car's computer and view all sorts of real time data and diagnose problems. I am builidng a small circuit that will allow me to hook up a laptop to my car and view all that info and I needed to know what protocol is used, so I can buy the proper chip.

Comment

if this product works as advertise, I would like to purchase one of your thingamabobs

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare
            if this product works as advertise, I would like to purchase one of your thingamabobs
            I'm not making a custom PCB though. It won't be very pretty but will work just fine. I might use an enclosure to cure the ugliness. I'll show you how mine turns out and let you decide if you want one or not.
            Last edited by Intruder; 01-02-2004, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
              uhh n00b... you can BUY those things already... so many companies make them!
              If $85 ain't too much for ya... go ahead and buy one from http://www.scantool.net

Comment

Hey intruder, thanks for being constructive instead of just trolling!

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare
                  Hey intruder, thanks for being constructive instead of just trolling!
                  I got the parts in the mail today. Ordered them from Digikey.
                  I'm building the thing right now. I still need a J1962 connector though (the one that goes in the car).

Comment

My code scanner was 250 bucks CDN and has already paid for itself.
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                      My code scanner was 250 bucks CDN and has already paid for itself.
                      I agree, but I wanted to build my own, and besides I am not paying for it - my father is, so I decided to save him some money and learn something in the process. That's what I learn at school (DeVry University) anyway, so it's kind of a practice project.

I already laid down the components to see how they fit on the pcb and now that everything seems OK, I'm starting to solder. I even found a really nice enclosure that will allow me to permanently mount the scanner under my dash with LEDs pointed towards me. It'll have only one connector and IMO it's gonna look sweet.

Comment

Some pics for the curious...

All the parts and the "universal" PCB.

I'm done with the layout of the components. Now I have to route some more wires and solder everything.

The black enclosure will have the LEDs on its face and a DB9 connector (for the laptop) on the bottom. The OBDII cable will go out the back.

Comment

Haha. I built the same exact thing. I think I spent $35 on the entire project and wrote my own software. It worked out quite well. I have a link at home for a place that you can buy the connector and pins. If I remember when I get home, I'll shoot you the link. If you don't here from me in a couple days, drop me a line to remind me.

If the mood strikes me, I'll post pics of my completed assembly.
                          -Kevin
                          -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                          -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                          -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                          -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                          -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Please do so! Post pics, I'd love to see how yours turned out.

Comment

A place that sells compete cables
                              HERE

For the life of me, I can't find the place to source the connectors. I'll look tomorrow to see if I still have the receipt.
                              -Kevin
                              -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                              -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                              -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                              -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                              -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Working...
                              X