• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daves KL-ZE swap progress

Hello pplz from downunder

3 months ago i started gathering the parts required for a KL swap into a BG
    Got the engine

Pulled from a Jspec Mazda MS8 , comes with the same cams,heads,valves and pistons as the MX6 jspec
    Engine had done 180,000km and surely has missed a few oil changes, bit yucky in the heads. No biggie as im going to rebuild it and port the heads, lighten the crank, and possibly do a dry sump setup as im building a 323 BG street/track day car.

The ECU from the MS8 was gone, and the only car that still had the same distributor and coil combo is our NZDM KL-DE powered cars, so i had to get the ECU and and AFM from the KL-DE, but i got the MX3/Eunos Presso Distributor and wiring loom as thats what was there, This is only temporary , i intend to locate a MX6 jspec ECU at some stage
    while at it i took the MX3 engine, gearbox and subframe mounts, I already have the MX3/Presso LSD sharfts and axles. i still need to get both front and rear sub frames for its width to do list

Rebuild Kit arrives

Bearings, rings etc will arrive later this year

Started work on the inlet manifold

Port matched and polished most of the runners, the T/B side was a little harder to do, but i'll complete that later

I started to get it ready for a mirror finished, spent some time with the wheel smoothing out,,then thought , **** it, im gona gloss black it instead, first coat done, another one to go and a clear coat later

prep'd the cam covers also,

1 more coat to go and a clearcoat.

So naturally its not much of a project with out a car!
    due to my Astina now being at the wreckers, and me having to find a place of my own, most DONT have sheds, this project will be on the go slow

i already have the 2.5" exhaust system, wheels, seats, sturts and springs that fit BG cars, so when i get another car, i'll start posting again.

Enjoy part 1

Dave

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
    1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Sub'n to watch progress. Great work so far
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i messaged you on msn
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Do you plan on making 220 hp on just the kl-ze motor n/a?

My friend has a set of colt race grind cams for sale if you're interested, they make good power. PM me if you want them.
        Last edited by NineFourProtege; 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM.
        1994 Protege - KLDE Swap.

Comment

yes 220whp on n/a

i'll upgrade what i can to get that number, cams, headers, ecu etc . its still in bits atm, i have done anything for ages

sorta interested in the cams, what are they? 288/9.x ?

Comment

not much to report

Engine is stripped and im currently porting the heads (long process)

I got a LSD gearbox from a K8 Powered Eunos, and the input sharts
            also the flywheel and clutch cover, Man its so light. doesnt weight a thing
            took the shift linkages also
            will be going back to the j/y tomorrow to get the power steering and possible lower front and rear sub frames

as i'll need them or i get axles binding ??? true or untrue?? im not sure

Comment

yay! cant wait to see the outcome!

Comment

true/untrue---- who cares=+1 for wider track width
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Yesterday i did some more porting on the heads, port matched the inlet and cleaned up the nasty ridges in the inlet ports, gona flow heaps now
                  Exhaust ports will be done soonish.

so today (sorry cant find my digital camera, i just move into my new place and its gone missing/in a box still)

i went back to the j/y and got a mx3/eunos power steering rack , i understands its a quicker ratio than the BG ones?

got the front subframe, inc the extra brace thing thats under neath it. i dont think 323's have them? my BG GTX did.
                  also took the rear subframe also,comes with that tie bar also, might get another one and put it on the front of the rear sub frame, nice firm arse end
                  didnt get the spindles, not required yet!

all the above parts cost me $68 NZ
                  so at the current exchange rate, thats around $45 US

so ****EN Score if you ask me

Comment

bump for pictures of the headwork ASAP!!!! i plan to do some porting in the near future

Comment

Small update peoples

Feb 28 2009
                      [/URL]

Most of the ports look like this now, but there is still a long way to good
                      dam dremels heat up too fast, need to remove some more metal for the heads yet...by no was finished!!!!!!

This is a stock head
                      [/URL]

So a lot of improvement to get out of it

Anyways

I still DONT have a car to put all this gear into
                      was ment to buy a TX3, but brought a new Mountain bike instead ($5k)
                      so things are alittle tight atm with morgage payments etc, BUT by the end of the year i'll have a car to put all this into

Part 1 done !

Comment

By the look at the size on that port, this is going to be a nice build! I'm guessing all motor?

Comment

was at junkyeard for some other business (Nissan N13 sentra bits)

found this radiator, very compact and very thick

comes from a Saab 3.0lt V6 quad cam
                          should cool the KL engine nicely, its not much bigger than the one i had in the astina

i'll prolly use the internal oil cooling lines for something, PS or gearbox

Comment

what year saab?

Comment

i think it was a Saab 9-5 1998 3.0 v6
                              but it could have been a Saab 9000 1997 3.0 v6

they all look alike to me

Comment

Working...
                              X