This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed OEM Aluminum Pedal Set, BJ

I received this set as one of my Christmas presents. The part no. is B30L-V8-220F and it is the Aluminum Pedal set for M/T cars and fits 2001-3 Proteges. I believe it was standard equipment on the MP3 and the MSP. The dealer list price is US $130 but it was purchased from www.mazdastuff.com for US $105 + $7.50 shipping.

The kit comes with the three pedals, six M5 x .8 flat head screws, five flange nuts and one nut plate to be used on the bottom screw of the throttle pedal. Also included is an installation manual containing three templates, one each for the clutch, brake and throttle pedal. The pedals in the car have to be drilled out to mount the aluminum overlays.

First, cut out the paper templates. Remove the rubber pedal covers from the brake and clutch pedals and then place the templates over their respective pedals. I found it advisable to tape the templates down with masking tape so that they do not move around when you center punch the drill locations. The drilling centers are marked on each template. Note that the clutch and brake templates are different so be careful not to mix them up.

Second, drill the holes in the pedals. It makes it easier and more accurate to drill if you support the pedals so that they cannot move downward from the pressure of drilling. I used pieces of 1 x 4's to block the pedals. The manual calls for first drilling through with a 3 mm (.118") bit then finishing with a 6 mm (.236") bit for proper mounting screw clearance. Not having metric drill bits, I substituted a 1/8" (.125") to start and finished with a 15/64" (.234"). After drilling, remove the templates and de-burr the holes in the clutch and brake pedals with a file so that the aluminum overlays lie flat. Since the throttle pedal is plastic, de-burring with a file is not necessary.

Third, mount the aluminum overlays with the screws and nuts provided. The manual cautions not to overtighten the screws as breakage of the aluminum or the plastic throttle pedal can result. The torque setting for the clutch and brake pedals is given as 2.5-3.5 N/m and that for the throttle as 1.2-1.5 N-m. Since my torque wrench does not read that low, I simply held the nuts with my fingers while I tightened the screws with a Phillips screwdriver. Just use your judgement here and don't make it too tight. Make sure you place the nut plate in the correct position as indicated in the instructions.

The only difficulty with the installation was the awkward position required for the job. Other than that, it was a fairly simple job as long as you are careful. The pedals look good-very sporty and upscale looking. They appear to add about 25 VHP (visual horsepower) as well as looking good.

Happy Motoring!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

thanks for posting that... my set from Xmas are "in the mail" and I was wondering what the process would be like.
    --JJB--
    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

looks great!!!

Comment

Working...
      X