Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a cheap, reliable daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a cheap, reliable daily driver?

Well. I know most of you do not frequent the other boards, much less any other car forums other than your own...... or something..

but my car siezed up on me this afternoon when I went to go do some errands. Thread may be found here if you're curious to read: http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=221165

Ok, my question is this:

What car can be a reliable one.. cheap and still fun? My dad is wanting to by a Ranger... I'm not particularly(sp) interested in a truck, as they don't do me justice, plus hardly any are manuals...

anyway, what would you consider a rather reliable car.. that fairly cheap?

The rangers that are for sale at the Ford dealership here in town are under $10k. so... that'll give you an idea what my parents are looking into.
    I'm just a typical girl... living life to it's fullest. I enjoy working on cars, and I love my RX-7!
    Member of MRCCFL.com
    http://obbnmotorworks.com
    1988 GXL N/a - RIP, awaiting for motor.
    1991 black/black 'vert - Totalled RIP - Damn Ivan!
    2005 Mazda 3 - Hatchback (blue).

ouch that sucks to hear about your gxl!

what about a 1st gen protege? It's what I'll be picking up with the intent on winter driving and modding later.
    2002 Ford Focus ZX3
    1987 Mazda 323
    1993 Protege LX (coming soon)

Comment

How much are they around? I need something that's around $15k or less.

Yeah, sad day for me I don't think I should have woken up..... lol
      I'm just a typical girl... living life to it's fullest. I enjoy working on cars, and I love my RX-7!
      Member of MRCCFL.com

Comment

15k or less? You could get a multitude of cars for that price!

1st gen proteges cost about $2000 for a good one, and can even be had for less than $1500 if you look. Its hard to find one in good condition though
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I could be slight wrong on what my dad is really looking for between a price range though.

I just want something that has good reliablity, still a fun car , (perferbly a standard).... you know?
          Member of MRCCFL.com

Comment

What area do you live? On www.msprotege.com and www.protegeclub.com people are selling their MP3's and MP5's modded for under $15K. Is your car dead for sure? I know it is hard going from a fast car to a slow one. I have had my ES since '01 when purchased new, and it drives like a Lexus compared to the old '88 fullsized GMC Jimmy 4x4. I miss the Great White. It's hard going from up in the air (oversized tires but no lift on it) to way on the ground. I don't miss the fuel economy of that sucker! It was a guzzler. Although it needed work, I should have kept it and fixed it up versus buying a new car entirely, but I like my Protege. It's reliable, has zing to it, I get compliments, and I have a nice system in it for every day commutes to and from work or where ever I go.

Sorry to hear about the RX7. Too bad you can't get the one styled before it was retired and revamped as a RX8. The biggest thing is the year car you get has to be so old, but not too old that it is considered a personal loan by the bank. I was looking at an Integra GSR, but it was one year too old that the banks wouldn't give me the low APR of financing a newer model, otherwise, I would have been loving it minus the speeding tickets I got for having such a fast car
            2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
            KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
            Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
            Groundkit

Comment

They sell Focus ZX3's in Houston under 10k all the time. And a Ranger V6 or F-150 with a manual goes for about the same price. I see Protege DX's get pretty close to those prices. I like Rangers, they can be fun with the 4-cylinder (good fuel economy and power) and a manual, the F-150 manual is a pain to drive, the ZX3 is noisy. My opinion would be either a Protege DX or a Ranger.

Edit: Also sorry to hear about your 7, hope you find what was wrong with it.
              Last edited by kc5zom; 09-05-2003, 10:01 PM.
              2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
              1983 F-150 351W

Comment

Got my car for $1000. The front isn't the prettiest, needed about $75 worth of stuff to pass smog, and I put on better tires I already had. Otherwise, I like it a lot
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

After all the mods you put or plan on putting on your car, charles, it is like getting a new one any way. Good investment I must say! I felt that way with my old '88 Jimmy. No real problems, but if something went on it, I got an aftermarket piece that was better than factory. It had a K&N filter, Flowmaster exhaust kit (catback), and a new starter with a lifetime warranty, along with the Kenwood CD, JVC and Memphis Audio speakers, and remote start alarm with all the bells and whistles. The guy who got, got an awsome deal. I found out later, that he graduated the same HS and the same year that I did. I didn't know him because we never shared classes and the school was pretty big.

Mikee Mike
                  2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                  KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                  Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                  Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                  X