Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with keyless entry installing

Hey everyone,

now remember i am a newbie at this stuff... now, i was trying to install my alarm system, but got stuck at the keyless entry system.

I bought an actuator and connected it in the driver's door. After i connected it to the alarm system, and hit the button for testing, it moves very slowly, like its not getting enough power.

do ull think i need something in between the system and the actuator for more power. its like, 1 wire for lock and 1 wire for unlock...but no enuf power for either of them.

let me know guys....thanks

alarm system = Hornet 554T
    car installing on = 94 Protege LX

thanks guys

thats what it sounds like to me... maybe a bad conn? could be just a bad part too... in the manual, is ther a trouble shoot section?

Comment

well, i tried 2 different parts on...and both of them have less power coming to them.... Im still looking in the manual, but cant find anything on that yet....

hope someone can help me

thanks

Comment

how does the part get ground... ie. the one wire for lock and one for unlock, do they reverse polarity on them to cause the solenoid to move in the direction that they want? or is each of them for a separate winding that returns via a ground path.

If it is the latter, I woud consider seeing how good the ground that the door area is providing. It might be that power is being provided but it does not have a nice low resistance path to flow back over.

Just some quick thoughts...
        --JJB--
        '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
        Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
        16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
        15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
        Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

well, its the first one.... so they have no ground passing on them...everything is done thru the brain chip.

and as far as i know, my ground is good for my main system.
          but ill check it again

thanks for the help

Comment

you must use relays. the alarm outputs are not strong enough and you'll eventually burn them up if you connect them directly to the actuator.

I know for a fact the Hornet's manual shows all power locking systems and shows aftermarket systems labeled as TYPE D, which requires relays.

click the vehicle sercurity FAQ link in my sig

Comment

Working...
            X