Wiring in a Megasquirt piggyback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring in a Megasquirt piggyback

I have a question about the wiring of a megasquirt harness. It will be piggybacked on my ECU. Should I wire everything into the harness right where it connects to the ECU, or should it be wired in in the engine bay? Is there a preference?

Does anyone have a wire diagram for the MS2 to the protege pinout ecu chart?

I am going to run fuel and spark.

Why would you piggy back a standalone?
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i dont know if you understand the m.g.s is a full standalone not a ?piggy back?
      GOD INVENTED TURBO LAG TO GIVE THE V8 A CHANCE!!!!!
      AND
      THE DEVIL INVENTED THE ''ANTILAG'' TO SHOW THEM NO MERSEY!!!!

Comment

This is why I am a noob. I thought you could wire it in to work along side the ECU. Well if its strait forward standalone then that means I can pull out my engine harness and replace it with the one from DIYautotune.com and splic the plugs in from everything.

Has anyone done a write on wiring the harness. Like connect blue wire from megasquirt harness to first wire of distrubitor plug...etc..

I think I am getting it confused with MS1 which was just for fuel correct?

Logan
        Last edited by Gforcefd; 09-25-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Ok, let's clear some things up.

The MSI ECU can be used to just control fuel. In that case you would have to provide it with a tach signal, IAT, CLT inputs. These would have to be spliced in from the stock harness. You would also have to leave your entire engine wiring intact and not remove the VAF so that the stock ECU still thinks its doing its job and controls timing.

The best way to do this is to remove the stock ECU completely and wire in the MS as a full standalone. You can have your stock harness modified to work with the MS as an ECU or build a new harness altogether. I offer both of these services if you are interested.

Also, the MSI ECU refers to the CPU used. The version of the circuitboard is that V3 of V2.2 stands for.
          Last edited by Lex; 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up Alex. I think I would like to tackle the job of making my own harness. Worse case senario I can always get you to build me one :-) I have a whole weekend of free time since the wife is out of time, so I should get a good start on it.

Is there anything that currently plugs into the ECU that the megasquirt harness will no longer control?

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd View Post
              Thank you for clearing that up Alex. I think I would like to tackle the job of making my own harness. Worse case senario I can always get you to build me one :-) I have a whole weekend of free time since the wife is out of time, so I should get a good start on it.

Is there anything that currently plugs into the ECU that the megasquirt harness will no longer control?
              No, you remove the stock ECU completely. However, some harnesses going into the engine bay that are connected to other plugs under the dash are still used. Things like the tach signal and the +12V for the ignition coil.

Comment

What Your Wife Is Out Of Time!!!!!! Lol Hey I Watch Csi On Tv Man.
                AND

Comment

As long as its not MIAMI, LAS VEGAS all the way, back on topic...

Comment

i have herd of people using a mgs and stock ecu . but not at the same time they can switch back and forth between ecu's. but thats to much complications not really worth the time. just go with a clean harness setup and mgs2.
                    AND

Comment

As far as megasquirt and OBD II is concerned, does the ms hook right up to the testing machines at the local shops to pass emissions and all that? If i was to do an engine swap, i'd probably want to do some sort of ms or stand alone so i can turbo or tune the set up myself. the stock ecu is limiting, but i also want the car to be road legal as far as emissions goes.

CSI: crime scene investigation is where its at. Miami sucks and NY really isn't that great.
                      sigpic

Comment

no clue about ODBII, I am running a 94 BP engine and transmission in a festiva, I don't have to worry about smog laws in NY, only for the 96 and up cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeekster1 View Post
                          As far as megasquirt and OBD II is concerned, does the ms hook right up to the testing machines at the local shops to pass emissions and all that? If i was to do an engine swap, i'd probably want to do some sort of ms or stand alone so i can turbo or tune the set up myself. the stock ecu is limiting, but i also want the car to be road legal as far as emissions goes.

CSI: crime scene investigation is where its at. Miami sucks and NY really isn't that great.
                          No, MS is not OBD compliant.

Yes you can run both the MS and stock ECU - but you have to decide what runs what. You can leave ignition up to stock ECU and have MS only do fuel.

Heck, you can even use MS to just control extra injectors and that way leave your car stock for normal driving until you hit boost.

Comment

So just to answer my question, I have searched for it but don't see anything. Is there a wiring write someone has done on which wire from the megasquirt harness wires into which plug? It would save me a ton of time figuring it out.

Thx Logan

Comment

Well I have gotten about half the plugs sorted out and attached to the harness. I still need to get a IAT sensor, and figure out what the 4 IAC wires on the harness do, Idle Air Control maybe? I will have to google some more... I will post up pictures of my progress in a build thread later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X