turbo dismantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo dismantle

i was just wondering if anyone out there has any nknowledge on how to dismantle a turbo. more so, how to seperate the center section.

This is a vj-11 but basically just loosen the 3 bolts holding on the waste gate actuator and the other 3 little holding things. Tap the compressor housing lightly and it should fall off. Loosen the 6 bolts on the exhaust side, you will probably have to remove the coolant lines and what-not. Hit this very very hard alot of times and it will seperate from the the CHRA. the compressor nut is a reverse threaded 8mm take that off and remove the compressor wheel. tap the shaft lightly and the shaft and turbine wheel will fall out. Order a rebuild kit to get the tool to disassemble all of the bearings and jazz in the CHRA
    Fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 130xxx miles SOLD

1990 Honda Civic SI
    186k 10:1 hybrid motor
    d16 on 10 pounds will turn ya out.

sigpic

Comment

alright. so there is nothing i have to do but hit the compressor housing after i take off the four middle bolts and the split washer?

Comment

Does this help?

1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

yes. i should be able to get it all done from there. thanks

Comment

If you take the compressor wheel off the shaft, when you put it back together you should get it rebalanced... unbalanced things don't spin too well at high speeds.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
            Member of MX-3.com
            1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
            1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

To remove a stuck/rusted exhaust turbine, use a propane torch (plumbing size) to heat where the chra and turbine surfaces meet (after removing the 4 bolts and split flange that hold these pieces together). Once it's been heated, it should be easier to tap them apart.

Comment

Working...
              X