info on setting gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

info on setting gains

i've always been one to set all the settings for my audio equipment by ear, and i found a good site that has some great info on setting gains and the effects of clipping. i recomend reading through it more than once to make sure you understand everything

i haven't tried their method yet, cause i don't have any blank CD's with me, but i'll be picking some up this weekend and try their method of gain setting.

any luck yet
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

nope, haven't done **** this weekend

Comment

i just noticed but my alpine amp doesnt have ag ain i dont hink... not aht i remember anyway... i know i have a db boost but not a gain...hmm i dont ahve a subwoofer control on my alpine HU... thin ktahts supposed to be my gain?

Comment

the gain might be labled input sensitivity or something like that, every amp has one
          '02 classic red p5

Comment

hmm have to go look later its pouring down rain...

Comment

always wondered who totoro is.
              he's always getting my sushi and young school girls...
              zzzzzzzzzzzzz
              -onehawaiian | My 2002 P5 Funk
              >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
              **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

ok went out and looked... input level? would that be the gain then? ok and if i understood this right.. lower =better sound and higher means louder but sloppier... so i need to trun mine up from -2 db?

Comment

the goal is to match the input level on the amp with the rca voltage coming from the HU(audio processor). so once you turn up the gain past what its supposed to be that preamp voltage, then you get muddy crapy stuff.
                  '02 classic red p5

Comment

i just downloaded the cd's and burned the mp3's straight to a disk, played them.. instructions and all, read a LITTLE on the website to get a basic idea, the input range on my sub amp is somewhere between 1.5 and 5 volts i believe, but no matter how i set the input level, it didn't adjust the pitch of the tone, just the loudness. i set the gain, however, to the desired level i wanted and did notice a change in toneage on my subs and found exactly where i wanted my clipping level to be.. right at about -9.5 dB's or 3:1 ratio. to me, this is very versatile, the bass slams out listening to heavy beated music like rap, and had a great impact on any rock song i threw at my system, but NOT overpowering. it's JUST where i like it. for a novice, i'm impressed i actually understood the material and was actually able to produce results! was kinda bummed that my JBL doesn't have a gain on it. and from the pdf file, i figured that my gains are right where they should be, right in the middle on a scale of 0 dB to 14 dB.. and ironically, my amp is only good for 12 dB worth of gain. funny thing though, fully unadjusted, leaving my headunit settings where they were at, i listened to the different tracks on the first cd's, clipped a different levels.. i didn't notice a ****IN thing.. just my untrained ear . i ended up just using the second cd with the 100hz tones, and setting it at O, -6, -9.5, & -12 dB's, and played four songs from a cd i had made a while back... (Outkast - Bomb's Over Bagdad, Sugar Ray - Fly, Metallica - Fuel, and Beetoven's 9th, some nelly songs, dmx, and some soulfly as well...just for variable listening ) i felt happier with the gains set at -9.5. blue, this is definately a great find, thanks for sharing with us, and to me especially, that amp ain't getting ****ed with EVER! hope some night you have the patience to tie up your phone line to download 145 megs worth of mp3 test tones
                    peace

Comment

well, next weekend, when i'm home at my high speed connection, i'll be downloading the CD i downloaded the 200 hz tracks, and the 1,000 hz track, but i can only use it for my mids and highs amp, cause my sub amp cut out all freqs above 150 hz, and it can't be turned off oh well, good old class D power makes up for it:p: i'm glad someone's had a chance to use it, and liked it

Comment

heh, with the 1000hz test tones, with the levels they're telling you to use are accurate and loud enough that using ear plugs won't hurt your ability to detect the clipping. stupid thing is blue, i listened to all the tracks on the first cd.. and on the pink panther track, it sounded awesome, but i heard no audible difference between the 4:1 clipping ratio and the 1:1 clipping ratio. somehow, i was able to settle with -9.5dB's (3:1 ratio). good luck, and i wouldn't worry about clipping from you're 147 dB baby... turn the gains all the way down and you'll be JUST fine!
                        peace

Comment

When I was a teenager and got my first system, I didn't no my ass from a hole in the ground about car audio and had Circuit Sillies install it. I was mad because the **** was too loud and distorted. I went to the installer and told him it sounded like ass, and told him the gains were too high. His response was, "I always crank the gains all the way up and leave it there on all my installs." They also put in that Kenwood small 5 band EQ with mounting brackets on the side and instead of taking them off, they broke them off. I had no idea until I took the **** out and saw it. They also accidently spliced in to the RCA wires some how and put electrical tape around it. What a bunch of ****tards!
                          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                          Groundkit

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of the CD to send me or available for download because the site listed appears to be down

Thanks

Comment

Am I the only one who can't view that site???

edit:
                              oops, I didn't read all the way down and didn't see rider's post.
                              Last edited by Intruder; 01-17-2004, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X