sleeper vs. ricer dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleeper vs. ricer dilemma

So i don't know what to do with the exterior of my car.

Engine-wise, I'm quite sure that I'll toss in a turbo and that'll be the end of it. As far as I know, there's only 1 other 3rd gen. Protege in Ottawa that has a modded engine.

Now the issue arises on what I should do to my car's body... I would thoroughly enjoy having a sleeper and creaming every little boy with a stock Civic Si engine that think they're the king of the road...... making them respect the all-mighty mazda protege...

but at the same time.. i do want a sweet looking ride.

If i was to remain a sleeper.. i would still toss on the MP3 front bumper and side skirts.. but it would end there... no decals on the car and no real body-kit or other mods...

whereas if i was to do all the fun body mods, i'd probably end up going with the WW full flare kit... (yah, i'm the only person i know that likes the flare kit).. with EVO hood, tricked out 18" rims, nice anime-based decals (friend drew a few for me, very nice) and a very custom paint job on the rest of the car...

Should my primary goal to look pimpin' and just drive around and smoke what cars i can.... or to drive around and secretly race every rice-boy i can find?
    i like to do both... and i can't decide which is more important.

note: in about 8 months, my best friend joins the local police... so speeding tickets will no longer be an issue

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

I went with looks. (check the sig) Im not one of those people who are subtle can you tell?
    I think the sleeper look would be good, but in the end if you arent happy with it then why waste your time and $$?
    I went all out because thats me, Im going to worry about my engine later.
    Sagaris

Comment

I like the sleeper idea. subtle body kit for a little bit of looks. like you said. the mp3 kit. maybe some light 17's tonot slow you ass down too much. just my $.02

Comment

oh yeah.
        this spring is 17" konig holes with Ecsta 712s. lowered 1.3/1.7

it'll be a nice ride, as a sleeper... but not all pimped out to reflect the engine beauty.

RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

long disgussed delima. i have an old car so for me going bling will look a little "interesting". you hve a newer car and the bling ride would look cool. it is Ottawa and ricers will have to deal with my boxy 1st Gen soon to be turbo.

you know what. if you want a nice ride then do it up. if you have a turbo you will still have the guts to back your body kit.
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Re: sleeper vs. ricer dilemma

Originally posted by Lil Freek
            So I don't know what to do with the exterior of my car.
            You can go nutz with graphics/paint and have the rice racer
            show look or...

Put on a set of MazdaSpeed side skirts and back bumper skirt
            with a Cork Sport front bumper. Very clean, very sharp and
            very "Q" boat. Especially nice when the car's lowered and
            carrying 17" wheels and 215/40s.

My 2 yen worth.
            The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic $$$

Comment

I'm with GotBoost. Go with a sleeper. Then add some subtle hints at what kind of beast you have underneath.
              2002 Blackmica P5
              CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

I am going to go with Jo on this one. I went the complete show route. Although I am still considering doing a turbo setup. I say go for show and go.

Comment

Personally I like somewhere in between... something that's clearly sporty but without a lot of extras. No decals or huge body kits, that sort of thing. Understated power. You can impress people with how your car looks but the rice boys still think they have you.

Comment

^^
                    I feel the same way
                    sorta like a sporty rice slayer :p:

Comment

Sleepers are the Shiznit!

I cosntantly..Ride around Hunting for Ricers...With their Loud Exhuast...Revving at me!

It comes down to what you really want to do..Look Good..Or Be fast!

I chose Be fast..I think the Mazda Protege5..Has great curb Appeal! I constatnly..Get double looks from the ladies!

Than When I Let them hear the BOV..They Cream their Pants!

Chas

Comment

ok... can someone explain "BOV"?

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Blow off valve
                          Sagaris

Comment

I say make the car clean w/ minor exterior mods just enough to set you apart, make the interior very sick but consider weight at the same time. Then you can still have a semi-sleeper but w/ a very aggresive stance.

Comment

Originally posted by acidbbg1
                              Sleepers are the Shiznit!

I cosntantly..Ride around Hunting for Ricers...With their Loud Exhuast...Revving at me!

It comes down to what you really want to do..Look Good..Or Be fast!

I chose Be fast..I think the Mazda Protege5..Has great curb Appeal! I constatnly..Get double looks from the ladies!

Than When I Let them hear the BOV..They Cream their Pants!

Chas
                              [16" 6 Spoke Enki Rims Wrapped in Sumimoto Z Rated Tires!][Street Glow Red Neons] [Red Flames On Doors] [Mazdaspeed Shoulder Pads] [Custom Red MudFlaps] [Passport 8500 (Live on the Gas, Die on the Brake!)] [Custom Plexi Glass for guages

from your sig...

you clearly don't understand "sleeper"...

IMO, a new front bumper/side skirt/neons/graphics will NOT make me enjoy my car more, so I wouldn't ever do it. The end.
                              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES
                              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                              X