Homemade header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade header

Back on my quest to build my own header, because that's about the only choice we z5 owners have. And the crack in my manifold may have something to do with it...
    So I had previously purchased these:

I plan on port matching the primaries to the factory exhaust manifold gasket(and then the head to the same gasket).

So my trip to the junkyard today discovered the oft elusive and pesky pre cat:

This little bastard almost got away...the junkyard told me they won't sell catalytic convertor related equipment. I asked them to wait a minute, went around the corner and hammered out the internals. It's just fat downpipe now. The guy found that humorous and sold it to me for $15.

I was originally going to make my own pipe to replace the precat and just wanted it for external dimensions and fitment. But now, I'm thinking this is the sneakiest way to get what I want without tipping off the smog folks...

I'll use a 2.5" pipe insert flared at one end and welded in at the bottom...or even a velocity stack might work. I'll pack the surrounding empty space with exhaust material(steel wool or fiberglass). I'll put some small holes in the pipe so that any exhaust gas passing through the sound deadening material can still pass into the exhaust piping.

And I'm going to order one of the secondary o2 sensors replacement resistors...we'll see how this works. Hopefully this all be done next weekend.
    Last edited by davens; 01-02-2004, 08:21 PM.

Thats a very good idea, man. I hope this works out well. Keep us posted.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Yea, Pretty good idea there.
      sigpic

Comment

don't match the head to the gasket. It'll hurt performance. You want a lip, about 1/16" surrounding the exhaust port before you hit gasket or manifold.

how long are you making the primaries? for what RPM are you tuning?
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

What is the reason for this lip?

I'd love to say I was designing the header but all I'm doing is taking a stock unit and making some pseudoengineering improvements. Take a loook at the img links to see what I'm dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by davens
            What is the reason for this lip?

anti-reversion.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
              anti-reversion.
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
              X