Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Gen. protege KL-ZE swap help

hey,

i have a 02 protege 2.0, i would like to kno in detail(if anyone knows) how much work it is to swap a KLZE in my car??

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

its not as hard as some think. it actually bolts in. a little wiring and a go.
      heres a link that tells u what u actually need to do the swap.

Comment

thanks man that was exactly wat i needed to see
        do u kno fi u can fit the straight neck Kl instead of the curve neck?
        Last edited by craig5000; 11-01-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craig5000 View Post
          thanks man that was exactly wat i needed to see
          do u kno fi u can fit the straight neck Kl instead of the curve neck?

no, unless u move the battery to the trunk. then it might fit. your best off with a curve neck. also depens where u are, but emissions is something u should be thinking about. since our cars are obd2 and a kl-ze from japan are only obd1. You may have issues getting it e-tested. I dont know if u can make the kl-ze work with obd2 since it doesnt have the same emissions equipment.

Comment

yea ive heard of those problems but i can get e-tests from a "friend" lol, i am more worried about the increase in my insurance
            i im prob only going to do it if my drivetrain craps out cuz im at 250,000 kms on the stock clutch

Comment

Originally posted by viper_707 View Post
              since our cars are obd2 and a kl-ze from japan are only obd1. You may have issues getting it e-tested. I dont know if u can make the kl-ze work with obd2 since it doesnt have the same emissions equipment.
              do you US people get the 2001+ 626 with a KL in it?
              they might have the odb2 option?
              we got them in a wagon form,and most where auto's, ive not yet checked the computers out if they are odb2

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
              1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

any 96+ KL is odb2. and there are a bunch of cars that came with them here in the states. probe, mx6, 626, or millenia

curved neck mani will be your best option. otherwise you probably will have issues with your brake master cyl.
                ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                What are you driving?

Comment

oh really, i could prob get around that....may aswell get the straight neck and some more ponies lol
                  thanx all for info...HUGE help

Comment

Originally posted by craig5000 View Post
                    oh really, i could prob get around that....may aswell get the straight neck and some more ponies lol
                    thanx all for info...HUGE help

i thought the straight neck didnt have any more horsepower than the curved neck?
                    sigpic

Comment

Stop bumping old threads and go over to probetalk for that question
                      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                      "Who Dey"

Comment

Grab a KLG4 manifold off a 98 plus millenia, it is the best one out there for all around performance.
                        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Its a 98+ 626 not milli. I have a 98 milli motor and its a curved neck. The klg4 is a straight neck
                          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Id use the milly if u have square port heads. And a klg4 if u have oval ports. Just so it flows correctly. Run the manifold that match's ur heads.
                            ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                            What are you driving?

Comment

there are obdII ZE's btw...
                              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                              X