95 Protege Suspension Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 Protege Suspension Question

150K on my 95 DX. The rear struts/springs have been making sounds when going over bumps for a while. Now that the weather got really cold, it seems the rear suspension is rock hard. When I go over bumps, the car doesn't bounce at all. I just hear a stiff thump sound and of course its not pleasant. What could be causing this? Some kind of lubrication leak/needs to be changed?

perhaps you have a blown strut.

although, if that were the case, it would be bouncier.

Comment

If your struts are really shot they will collect water inside and freeze solid when it turns cold.
      Powered by ACME

Comment

makes sense, but if the strut is blown how come I have a normal ride during hot weather (with exceptions of some creaking/banging sounds) :\
        like said above, shouldn't it be really bouncy?

Comment

It may not be bouncy enough to detect in the warm weather.
          When it gets cold the water freezes solid stopping the strut from moving.
          When it gerts warm the water thaws alowing strut movement.
          Take the suspect strut out,put it ina warm area to thaw and see if it makes a difference,do not heat it with a torch to warm it,do not heat it witha torch to warm it.
          I never tried it but a heat gun (hair dryer) may warm it enough to thaw the water.