Brake Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid

hey i just got the brake light on in my car; so i checked the brake fluid and its a little low. Is there a particlar type of brake fluid that i should use? I just wanted to make sure that i am putting in the right stuff-brakes is the last place you want to mess up on. Oh yea if it matters its a z5-thanks!
    Originally posted by Kitty
    3 tears probably wont be that visible when installed greatly asseverated by me fingering them in the pics
    Originally posted by almighty4wd
    .......Dude. You own an ECONOBOX. It is not a racecar....

dot 5
    Check out the Pics
    sigpic
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
    Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

cool thanks-that exactly what i wanted-any particular brand?
      3 tears probably wont be that visible when installed greatly asseverated by me fingering them in the pics

Comment

and im wrong i looked at my bottle today and its DOT 3 standard brake fluid nothing special about it
        Check out the Pics
        sigpic
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
        Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

ok well that should be easier to find-lol thanks for the quick response 90prtege

Comment

DOT3 (standard) is good enough, Thats what its filled with now. DOT 5 has a higher boiling point designed for racing applications. I use DOT 4 in the 323 and love it.
            Never mix synthetic brake fluid with conventional. It will gunk up the lines
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

is DOT 4 synthetic? i figure that stock is conventional....

Comment

No, not DOT5. DOT5 is silicone-based and not compatible. You need to get the glycol-based stuff (DOT3, DOT4, or DOT5.1).

--Ferdi
                If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                -----
                Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Originally posted by 90prtege View Post
                  and im wrong i looked at my bottle today and its DOT 3 standard brake fluid nothing special about it
                  yea he figured out that he was mistaken-but thanks for the heads up ftjandra .

Comment

Oh, I wasn't correcting him. But, just saying that DOT5 is not compatible or better just because it has a higher number. DOT5 is interesting though in that it doesn't absorb water or destroy paint. But, you'd need to rebuild the entire brake system and replace all the seals to use it. It's also slightly compressible meaning you'd have a softer pedal.

IMHO, the best fluid that doesn't cost too much is ATE Super Blue/TYP200. It's a non-synthetic DOT4.

--Ferdi
                    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                    -----
                    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

ok that was what i was wondering-if DOT4 was compatable-should i do a brake flush to use a DOT4 fluid-stock is DOT3,rite?

Comment

Stock is dot 3. I have a bottle of Valvoline Synpower ,its dot 4 and states compatible with "conventional" brake fluids.Im pretty sure its backward compatible meaning you can add it to your existing dot3.
                        It has a higher boiling point than DOT3.
                        Keep in mind unless your racing you may never really benefit from the improved performance and just doing a dot3 system flush may restore hydraulic performance enough to make you happy.
                        Brake fluid does pick-up moisture and junk over time with use and flushing the stock fluid with stock fluyid is a worthwhile endeavour.
                        Sup to you ,IMHO i wouldnt worry about going to synthetic unless you race or have done a brake system hardware upgrade.