Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPROM tuning for a mazda ECU being decoded (lex might wanna input on this one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPROM tuning for a mazda ECU being decoded (lex might wanna input on this one)

found on probetalk, I imagine the BP ECU isnt much different, and the BPT ecu the same. so now all we need is someone good with programing to decode ours atleast to get the values from both ECU's

Do you own a Jacobs, MSD, MegaSquirt or other ignition/fuel system? Get in here and ask your questions!
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

i don't get why this has not been done yet as the cars are so old

Comment

no who drives a BG knows enough about eproms and programing i guess
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I was interested in doing this for some time. Then I came across Crome, a program similar to Hondata that does this sort of thing in the Honda world - you tune the stock OBDI ECU. I tuned using that system and ran into the following issues:

1. The EEPROM was never fully decoded even though people spent a lot of time trying this and that. There is a HUGE difference between tuning an ECU that you KNOW what the logic does (as in the MS) versus tuning an ECU where you do not FULLY understand the logic.

Case and point, look at his fueling table. That table has the value 20 in hex in way too many of the load/rpm cells. It can't be the only fuel table. Further, are those values in milliseconds? This guy that figured what he did out had some insight into what to look for - but generally speaking looking up hex values in order to interpret them is a VERY VERY tedious procedure.

Countless hours must be spent on trying to modify this and that to see the effect of your changes - and most often you don't have the instrumentation to quantify those effects.

2. Soldering/unsoldering the chips and tuning them on the side is more than a PITA. So you get an emulator and realize it's really slow and it's still a PITA.

3. You don't have the datalogging feature built into ANY standalone. Honda actually does have this features but it is slow and requires more hardware added on.

4. You are left with dealing with the limitations of the stock VAF which maxes out at around 270whp in GTR form.

I am not saying this because I sell the MS. I am saying this because I believe that for the cost of buying a programmer/emulator you could have a system that is designed for you to tune. A system that you FULLY understand the logic of and that offers datalogging and a lot of I/O capability. After dealing with Crome, I decided that EEPROM decoding is not worth it in our cars when the MS is such a cheap, available alternative.

The icing on the cake is that I am working on something that will make the MS an easier option to install on our platforms than has been previously offered
        Last edited by Lex; 12-13-2008, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I'd like to know what that something is Lex. I'm gonna be doin a MS here soon so i'm down for anything that will it easier.

Comment

He's going to sell you an ADM monkey to help install your wiring harness and ECU- their little hands are much better suited to getting at tight spots than ours.
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
              He's going to sell you an ADM monkey to help install your wiring harness and ECU- their little hands are much better suited to getting at tight spots than ours.
              I'll leave it at that for now

That being said, if anyone is interested in a plug and play kit, there are several options I already offer that we can discuss.

Comment

Is KL59 the same ECU as the one for the B6-engine? The ECU for my mazda 323 with the B6 engine is labeled "B61K".

Comment

Working...
                X