Mixing tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing tire sizes

I desperately need to replace my tires. One of the tires in the front has a bubble on the side wall from hitting something on the highway and they are all worn down pretty good.
    Now here is my question, can I get away with temporarily running 205/45/16 in front and 205/40/16 in the back? I already have two of the new tires and the other two are on back order. (estimated 3-6 weeks) I don't want to end up having a blow out while waiting on the other two tires to get here.
    Just for clarification my current tires are 205/40/16 and the news ones are 205/45/16.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

You should be fine as temporary until your new ones come in your car is front wheel drive you should not dameage anything driving on those tires like that.
    White P5 lowered by ho weight ( so many hos I gotz a 2" drop) '01 Suzuki TL1000R (badly scratched)

Comment

dear lord man, wanna use some commas next time... made me read that sentence like 3 times!

until your new ones come in your car is front wheel drive

Comment

:rofl: Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I suppose you would be alright, although it could look a little funny. What tires did you order that are on backorder for so long?

Comment

Hankook Ventus HRII, they were only $71 each on tires.com
          2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

so is 205/40/16 better or 205/45/16 better for a 1st gen??

Comment

u will be ok unless u do that on a 4 wheel drive car or truck. when i got my old blazer the ppl that had it b4 me put lil tires in the front and big tires in the back. as soon as i put it in 4 wheel drive the front tires would lock up for a second everyrotation
              i is dumb

Comment

The 45 series is a tad taller, = higher gearing. The 40 series is closer to the OEM diameter. The 45's will slow you down a bit, throw off the speedo too. But you sure won't hurt anything.
                2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
                I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Working...
                X