4wd rear differentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4wd rear differentials

Im sure this question has been asked before. Which rear differential with LSD can be swapped into the BG?
    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Originally posted by TurboProto View Post
    Im sure this question has been asked before. Which rear differential with LSD can be swapped into the BG?
    if I'm not mistaken its the 90-94 1.6l miata. When they went to the 1.8l the diffs got bigger.
    also the BF GTX rear diff is the same
    Jason
    Yes Its 4wd woot woot
    sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncsprotege View Post
      if I'm not mistaken its the 90-94 1.6l miata. When they went to the 1.8l the diffs got bigger.
      also the BF GTX rear diff is the same
      Jason
      Can a entire diff wit pumkin be modded to fit without major re-construction? Cause I dont like clutch type differentials I need something that will withstand drag and drifting. Im either going to try and source out a 2-way diff or weld the rear diff. But I dont want to weld the rear diff cause it puts too much strain on the transmission.

Also is the drive shaft protege/323 BG only? Or can it be sourced from another chassis? Just curious if I ever have to find a replacement. And ive also been wondering about a custom onepiece shaft if anyone has done this? And I was curious if Mazda put those flexjoints in the drive shaft for a reason?

I just want to beef everything up for my rwd conversion that im doing with a spare 4wd trans.
      Last edited by TurboProto; 12-25-2008, 01:51 PM.
      1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

The entire BF GTX rear diff is a bolt in, they are the same pumkins and housings. The Miata rear diff pumkin has completely different mountin spots so it would be completely re-work to fit it into a BG car, however the actuall diff is the same. I am running a clutch type rear diff and I like it plus it gives you rebuild ability as well. The 3 piece drive shaft I don't like my self, but if you notice that the output of the transmission is not in complete alignment with the rear diff, also you don't want you u-joints to be in a perfectly straight position at all times either, which is why I believe they made it 3 piece. The BF GTX is only 2 piece, but I have never messed around with it to see if it would work in the BG car or not.

And Thanks Lex, its mainly a lot of undercoater to hide the rust.
        And don't mind the leaking rear diff in the picture, it was only an axle seal, and I don't have that diff in the car anymore anyway.
        Jason
        Yes Its 4wd woot woot
        sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

Thanks for the info Jason!
          Ill get some picts posted soon of the undercarriage of my car.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X