Door Skins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Skins?

i'm undertaking a massive project on my car, and i've got to know, i look for a driver's side door, and all i'm finding is door skins.. basically, the outter shell, which in turn gets painted. how easily removeable is the door skin and what exactly is required? as i don't see a feasible means of this being 'easy' or a DIY job. here is a link to show you what i'm talking about.. any input is welcome.

peace
    Attached Files

the only thing I can compare this to is helping my brother re-skin the doors on one of his project cars. a 70.5 Chevy Camaro and I can safely say it really isn't a normal DIY job. It was a pain in the butt but it can be done. You need to drill/grind out the welds and bend the metal away from the original carcus then carefully bend (he has the right tool now) the new skin on the door. This was on a 70's car so the metal was prolly thicker than that of a import and that may make it easier or harder depending on how you look at it. Easier to get the skin off but harder to get the new one on without bending/warping the carcuss? Call around to your local bodyshops and ask them for rates on re-skinning doors.
    Here are the results:

My .02 are pretty much worth 2 pennies.
    Weird HTML picture inbed isn't working? click here?
    Last edited by DeanSweetP5; 01-05-2004, 01:15 PM.
    'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
    -Dean
    2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
    18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
    Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
    MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
    Injen CAI - Polished
    Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
    DaveB trim rings
    Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
    Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
    Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
    Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
    Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
    Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
    Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
    Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

sweet job, but the process is just about as straight forward as you made it.. definately not a diy job.. it's 2 just as easy to swap the entire door out than to replace the door skin.. only time this would be worth while would be restoring an older car.. such as that.
      peace

Comment

I really don't get it. Why not just buy used doors? I mean, the crashed 94 Protege that I am selling for parts here have 3 good white doors. I know shipping would be a lot but doesn't that make more sense? Or, why not go to a junkyard near you and buy what you need. Give it a while until a white one shows up. I guess you may wait on a white one and when one finally arrives it has dented doors, or something. However, there's gotta be an easier way than skinning them.

Originally posted by demoninvictus
        sweet job, but the process is just about as straight forward as you made it.. definately not a diy job.. it's 2 just as easy to swap the entire door out than to replace the door skin.. only time this would be worth while would be restoring an older car.. such as that.
        peace

Comment

Working...
        X