guage bulbs and HVAC bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guage bulbs and HVAC bulbs

on my quest for brighter guages in red, i ordered the 6 bulb red LED 194's from superbright LEDs. i also ordered 4 wide angle #74 LEDs, 2 for the HVAC controls and 2 for the guage cluster, if needed. i'm hoping that the HVAC will be an easy swap. i've had it out plenty of times, but i'm hoping that it's easy for everyone else, so they can put in blue bulbs to match the reverse glow guages i *hope* that i'll have them by this weekend, if not, i won't have pics posted for 2 more weeks but if all goes well, for about $20 anyone else will be able to change their stock green or orange guages and switch them to a nice red, along with the HVAC controls much safer than swapping out the guage faces, too

Take a look at this thread http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb230/showt...threadid=38849
    About a third of the way down there's a link that Phoenix posted with pictures of both gauges and HVAC changed to blue... looks pretty good. I kinda wish I had found that link before I bought the PCP gauges, but I'm not sure cause I like the blue and red combination.

Comment

ah yeah, i forgot about that i can't believe he took off the servo motors i should have read through it, and that he used the 6 LED bulbs would have saved me from buying the wide angle ones. when i get around to it, i'll get around to changing out the gear selection for my automatic

Comment

when you do that tell me what size bulb is in that sucker.
        Visit My Garage

Comment

And get a picture for me where the bulbs are, or maybe a simple how-to.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
            And get a picture for me where the bulbs are, or maybe a simple how-to.

well, i can get you a pic, but the how to might be a little f'd up, cause i've got my HVAC controls in my center console where the cup holders were but i'm starting to miss my cup holders also, i'm not going home till the 23rd, so i won't be able to put in the LED's till then

Comment

That'll work. Although I might get off my lazy ass and do it before then.

Comment

post pics please once you install them
                because i wanna see the guinea pigs first and see how it goes
                (no offence intended)hahahaha
                Thanks!

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

How many 194's do you need for the gauge cluster? And how many for the HVAC?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                    How many 194's do you need for the gauge cluster? And how many for the HVAC?

you need two 194's and two of the 74's for the guage cluster. for the HVAC you need 2 of the 74's.

Comment

OK, I'm confused... on my cluster as far as I can remember all the bulbs were twist out ones, large and small both. But the 194 leds aren't. Do I get the other ones and make them work somehow, or am I just missing something? And are the HVAC controls twist or not? They have the option to buy both.
                      Last edited by jnorion; 01-14-2004, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                        OK, I'm confused... on my cluster as far as I can remember all the bulbs were twist out ones, large and small both. But the 194 leds aren't. Do I get the other ones and make them work somehow, or am I just missing something? And are the HVAC controls twist or not? They have the option to buy both.
                        The piece of plastic that holds the led twists out. Then you will see little clips on the side. Use a screwdriver and lift the clips, you can then pull out the bulb. Replace it with the new led. But be careful how you put it in as they won't light up if they go in backwards. So if they don't light up the first time just rotate them once and try again until you get it right.

I can't help you with the HVAC controls because I haven't done mine yet. But I will probably do it on Monday when my new hu gets here. I've got the bulbs.

Comment

Proto2k is right about the plastic piece. you twist it out then pull out the bulb, then put in the LED bulb. for the small ones you can get the plastic piece and the bulb. thank god for that, cause when i put 194 bulbs in the small holes i had to enlarge the hole and solder the metal leads for the bulbs to the circuit board.

as far as the HVAC control is concerned, i think i'm pretty sure it's the same plastic holder as for the guages. i don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. i currently have the round top 74's that come with the holder in my guages with flat top 194's. the 194's aren't bright enough, and the 74's seem too bright, but i won't know for sure till i get the new 6 LED 194's. in my last order i got the 6 LED 194's and 4 of the flat top 74's. i was thinking the flat top 74's would work better for the HVAC, but i won't know for sure till next weekend. i'll be messing around with all that then, and i'll have pics and opinions posted

Comment

That sounds good to me, I have the reverse gauges anyway so all the bulbs need to light up is the odometer and the needles. I guess I'll be the guinea pig on the HVAC lights.

Comment

all my lights are in, but i won't get to install them or even see them till next weekend stupid army making us work MLK day

Comment

Working...
                              X