Worklog: 5l1mm, 1991 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worklog: 5l1mm, 1991 323

so. i never saw the point of this worklog thing.
    but then i got money.
    so now that my projects can actually progress, it would be nice to track the growth.
    Next!
    sigpic

purchase

i got it from groharlem in like 2004ish maybe?

at that point it had the bottom tilt seats (pro dx?) and a b8 swap.
    and it leaked like a siv cause a freezout plug was blown, and the timing was so dicked it ran like a moped.
    at $350 it was a worthy investment.

me and shawn replaced the plug, and drove it home.
    upon getting it home i realized that the distributor was never really tightened down.

so i adjusted the timing, and tightened the distributor.
    Next!
    sigpic

Comment

interior work

my interior was all blue! (i hear thats rare, so it made me a little happy)
      unfortunately a case of diet rite cola had exploded in the back during storage at gro's house.

it took about 3 or 4 steamcleanings to get the stains, and the smell out.
      but it was done by maybe 2005-6
      unfortuantely i cut out the speeker ports in the door interior panels witch leads me to the next update.
      Next!
      sigpic

Comment

audio/ ice

at the time i got a set of blaupunkt coaxles, and put those in the four stock corners, a punch sub (12"), a dual headunit, and a 222 peak watt xplod amp.
        since then ive upgraded to a 800w amp and a 3 8"kicker set with a 1farad cap.

that didnt last long, i took it out when i got tired of keeping earplugs in the glovebox to prevent inner ear damage wile driving.
        it was however a nice novelty for a week.

it motivated me to run a 1 or 0 ish guage wire through the firewall to the rear compartment of the car, wich now runs a 800w power inverter.

currently, i have 0 amp, 0 sub, and a power inverter for cellphone charging, and laptop power.
        my job is convenienced by the slow transition to a mobile office that my car seems to be making.

i made a table that bolts into where the passenger seat goes, but i didnt like the design so i removed it for eventual redesigning.

there is a clarion double din head unit, (the dual died on me, dont buy duals, they die)
        usb in, so i can use thumbdrives!
        Last edited by 5l1mm; 01-01-2009, 05:23 PM.
        Next!
        sigpic

Comment

suspension

i cant remember when i put the suspension in
          but as of now its.

-zx2 struts
          -eibach double stage springs
          -poly lca bushings.
          -poly sway bar end links, but only the rear bar is in right now.
          if my memory serves me correctly i have the mid stiffness rear sway, i think its the protege one?
          -ive got one of those tie together links that goes accross the rear on the bottom, and connects the lower control arms in the rear, but i havnt gotten washers, and put it in yet.(i painted it black!, it was red)

-i scored some junkyard specialâ„¢ aluminum rims , we will put those here, cause im not making a rims/ tires post
          they are 14' witch is bigger than the stock 13, so its a bit less squirrely, and bouncy. but its not as huge as 15, so theres plenty of rebound room in the tire, and the ride is still pretty comfy as far as tire vibrations, etc.
          Last edited by 5l1mm; 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM.
          Next!
          sigpic

Comment

exterior asthetics.

im not going to call it anything else. because it is exactly that.
            the single only reason i painted my car is
            "baltimore cops are prejudice, and my multicolored car stood out as one that may be drivin by a drug user/dealer- trouble starter" that has been described in almost those exact terms by a Baltimore county cop, and a Pennsylvania state trooper.

-i did the paint myself in my friends garage.
            -it took me 2 weekends, between work
            -i used cheepy duplicolor pints of paint from the autoparts store, and a devilbiss hvlp gun
            -i actually ran out of paint close to the end of the journey, so the front, and rear bumper have fewer coats, and the front has even started chipping (sad jimbo)
            -i didnt plan on silver, and blue either (fcuk your redbull comments) i meant it to be blue, and canary yellow, but the store didnt stock a yellow, and i was on a strict time budget
            -the rear spoiler i made out of a early 90's civic dx spoiler that i modified to fit the hatch lines of the 323, then i wired the tail light into the center hatch taillight, and fabricated some new body lines on the rear of the roof, so they came up to meet the spoiler on the hatch. oh, i also cut out the bottom, and changed the curvature into an airfoil instead of the goofy triangular shape that the lower curvature was on the dx spoiler.
            - the decals were designed by me in illustrator, and cut out of retroflective red vinyl at my friends shop. (i didnt intend on red either, but it was the only color he had in retroflect)
            Last edited by 5l1mm; 01-01-2009, 05:30 PM.
            Next!
            sigpic

Comment

drivetrain!

this is the most recent part
              (well except the clutch witch is an exedy i think, (been a wile since i put it on)
              but!
              im almost done rebuilding a bp that i took out of a pro lx
              i have the wiring harness for the engine, i still need an injector harness
              -cylinders looked good.
              -it has
              -cleaned, rebuilt hla's
              -every single gasket is new including the valve seals
              -excluding the rear main seal witch i am getting today, along with the timing idler, and tensioner
              -the valve seals are viton, so thats nice, and so is the distributor seal
              -i painted the block high temp black (it was solid rust-iron)
              -all other parts that were not aluminum got either high temp black, or single stage epoxy black, depending on weather they got over 500 degrees during average use.(so all mah pulleys is sexy too)
              -shawn painted my valve cover, witch i think meens he plans on putting on his own car witch means i think i may have to take the one of his car in the middle of the night because hes not done it yet, and i need me a effing valve cover.
              -not a single bolt went into the engine without a torque wrench, and the fsm to set it.
              -painted the cam gears black, along with the crank pulley.
              -all 3 timing marks are silver, as well as the E, and I on the cam gears so i know im putting the corectly painted gear on the correct cam.
              Last edited by 5l1mm; 01-01-2009, 05:31 PM.
              Next!
              sigpic

Comment

wiring

-got a bp ecu, but i havnt tested it yet.
                -dissembled the bp wiring harness witch wasnt fun, but it allowed me to detect a shoddy splice job on one of the plugs. resoldered, heat shrinked, and rewrapped the entire harness in electrical tape, looks new.
                -wrapped the taped harness wire in a nylon mesh kinda like loom, so it might be a little more abrasion resistant in the engine bay.
                -i still have a nuetral switch plug to put back on the harness that was missing when i got it, and i gotta find an injector harness that isnt ker****led.

PS: why isnt "k e r f u c k l e d" allowed to be typed, i think its a perfectly PC, and usable term.
                Last edited by 5l1mm; 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM.
                Next!
                sigpic

Comment

random thought

what if i replaced the vacuum actuator that opens the internal butterflies on the intake with a solenoid.
                  then took that spare apexi vtec™ controller i have and set it to engage the butterflies instead of the vtec™
                  i may need to piggyback it off of a megasquirt. but hell, ive already put like 600$ into this engine in less than 2 months, and plan on about 3-400 more, why not go turbo, and program different fuel air modes?
                  Last edited by 5l1mm; 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM.
                  Next!
                  sigpic

Comment

if you want any pictures to add to this from my collection let me know jim
                    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

id love pictures, but i dont feel like digging for them.
                      are they in the standard car picture location?
                      Next!
                      sigpic

Comment

got all the parts i need for the bp swap.!
                        all i got is a few missing plugs on the harness, and it can go in on the weekend of my choice.

now the question has become.
                        "what kinda car do i want to rent wile i swap?"
                        Next!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5l1mm View Post
                          id love pictures, but i dont feel like digging for them.
                          are they in the standard car picture location?
                          there in "Server\Archive\Images\Carstuffpix"
                          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

we all wanna see picture pretty please

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

^^Agreed
                              2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege: Stock for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X