91prodx to bp swap - deathtrigga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91prodx to bp swap - deathtrigga

Ok so as you can tell by the title, I am going to be swapping a bp into my prodx and I have already started but i haven't really gotten a chance to take many pictures because I didn't have a camera but now that i have one im going to have to start taking pictures from the current position of my swap.
    I have some plans in the future of going turbo, hopefully by the summer. Here are some pics
    The bp that was posted here on the internet sightings page. This was an ebay auction the winning bidder ended up not paying so i was given 2nd chance offer, I took it ended up paying $130 cash for this motor supposedly with 60k on it.

Just couple of parts i have lying around, the red grille is the stock one at the top rest of grilles have been bought of members on this forum, including the slant headlights. I am going to be going with the familia grille and slanted setup but i need the hood, ill probably end up buying the hood at a later time

u code vaf, mazda bp fuel rail, mx-3 center console all from members on cp

my bp09 ecu hidden in there, also bought from member here.

mx-3 rear center console, dash board also from here

Shots of car exterior in gutted mode right now while being worked on
    it came with those rims and tires so i just kept them, people said the passenger fender and door look like they have bullet holes in them but i cant figure out caused the damage, I think ill just end up fixing it at my shop my self.

Here is the b8 that i have started to pull. As you can see many sensors and hoses are disconnected but not all, this is my first swap so im taking this as a learning experience and trying to build on it.

Guttd interior wit just 2 seats in there for the hell of it, along with RSX exhaust that someone just gave me for no reason.

here is the rear of the car, i started sanding the rear bumper in preparation of painting the whole car over.

another shot of the interior wit my mx-3 center cover also from member, The cover won't fit because i need the back peice, the protege one doesn't fit it correctly.

Installed lx cluster jsut for hell of it to see if it worked before i pulled the motor. It runs good i also bought this from someone here, I tried driving around with it and the fuel cut off for the b8 is like 6500 so i couldnt even get to reach the redline on my new tach

Couple shots of the rear gutted, along with a pair of jeans, idk why they are there.

here is my bp after i painted it with some highheat paint real quick because there was some surface rust on it before. I also painted the valve cover and clear coated it to give it that nice shiny look.

I am still waiting for the clutch for my f-series (yes thats what im planning on matting this bp to, and even boosting it in the future) and the bp harness which is for an EGT so i going to have to do slight modifications to get it to fit. I have more pictures but they are on phone and are just mostly of the car when i first bought it, but from now on ill be updating wit progress on the build. Feel free to leave criticism comments or whatever . Thanks
    Last edited by deathtrigga; 02-28-2009, 11:17 AM.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47653

my fs thread

wow what happened to the door?

Comment

lol i wouldn't know i got it like that but i only bought it because my dad owns a body shop so i figured it shouldn't be too hard of a fix, for 400 dollars i couldnt refuse it lol

my fs thread

Comment

looks like just replacing the door and fender

also looks like someone went slide hammer happy on that thing trying to fix the door lol

Comment

i bid on that motor too lol ! looks like its coming along great

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

haha yeah ill prlly just end up getting a new fender and door not a big deal
            yeah thats the motor, the guy seemed to know how to maintain his cars and stuff so I think itll turn out to be a pretty good motor. Yeah the stupid door and fender kill me everytime i look at them lol. its ok before its completely done ill have it fixed

my fs thread

Comment

So today we continued on and went on to remove all the hoses and plugs and what not but i am stuck as of now with a stripped bolt and not sure weather you are supposed to pull the starter off becaused it seems like its mounted to the tranny or something here are some pics of today.

Work mode, i always make a mess there is alway some fluid that ends up on the floor

As you can see a/c lines are still there and radiator and a/c core are also still there at the beginning of the day

part of the harness coming out and starting to emerge

another shot from the side with all the a/c stuff still in tact

some of the a/c lines are gone

all a/c lines removed and core removed, fan was still there but we took it off later

Fan removed along with last remaining hoses

Look at that ****ing gunk! that block is filitttthy

Here is one of the bolts on the motor mount that is stripped, idk what to do? any suggestions, this is the front motor mount btw

This is the starter is it suppoed to be unbolted or that black mount do they need to be removed in order for the motor to come out?

anddd this is her at the end of the day.. tomorrow hopefully if i can figure out what to do with that bolt, i go ahead and remove the motor mounts and pull her. ill keep you guys updated
              Last edited by deathtrigga; 02-28-2009, 11:11 AM.

my fs thread

Comment

Get the motor out with the tranny, it would be much easier to fix stuff off the car. GL

Comment

gayyy i just spent so much time trying to get the motor out with out the trany, im going to the shop right now to see if we can just break that stupid stripped bolt and pull that bitch out without taking the trans out, if i have to do that thats a whollllle nother day of work =/

my fs thread

Comment

>:o( damn it i look forward to your update!

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

it came out guys, it took me the WHOLE FREAKIN day. i thought itd be quick easy because all bolts and stuff were taken out, boy was i wrong. turned out after we attached the cherry picka that there was one bolt right by the starter that we totally had missed, and to make matters worse it was stripped slighty and the angle and position was reallly bad. Eventually i got help from someone else and he helped me remove that bolt. The hardder part was actually leaving the trannny in there and removing the motor. It was not too easy to pry the motor off the tranny because the pressure plate and clutch stick out of the motor so you have to kind of move the tranny. So to do that i ended up removing 2 tranny mounts so now the tranny is just like hanging down sitting on the cross member. ANyway right now im about to go out i will update later tonight with some pictures

oh and i realized im not even halfway through yet, i still have to put the new motor in ! lol

my fs thread

Comment

it finallly came out

So today i got my new clutch kit in the mail for my f-series that im going to be matting to the BP, i hope it holds up and i hope it can hold up to the motor when i boost it =/

Came with clutch disk, the cover, throw out bearing, the alignment tool and idk what the other little thing is yet but i guess ill find out when i put it in

my friend helping me get the crane hooked up, this toook us forever and was a mess because i ended up breaking the bolt that holds the thing you hook the chain onto in place. So we had to find another way to wrap the chain around the engine so we could lift it up

here is the ghetto demise with a very thin chain warpped around like 5times

it started snowing and we had one bolt that just wouldnt budge so we sat inside and waited for a bit trying to figure out what to do

One other problem i ran into was getting the motor off the tranny, i realized that the clutch and the clutch cover get in the way when you are trying to remove the motor because they are "into" the transmission so you have to kind of move the trans so that the motor can go up.
                        This took a little bit of time as well, but eventually the old b8 finally gave

nice empty engine bay

there it is stuck in in a motorcycle tire and thew it on the dolly because i dont have an engine hoist lol

now i have to go about removing all the parts from this motor that are being swapped onto the bp, such as the flywheel, alt, starter, ect.

Thats it for today, tomorrow im probably looking at swapping the stuff to the new motor and attaching the clutch and all that good stuff to it and cleaning up the engine bay for possible repaint.
                        Last edited by deathtrigga; 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM.

my fs thread

Comment

good looking progress. I had a bp with an f series tranny because the friend of mine who did the swap got lazy or something I don't know. it works out fine. the clutch is the only thing I really have a problem with. if I really beat on it, it starts to slip and that bugs the **** out of me.

is that a stock replacement clutch you got or a beefier one? and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

Comment

its an exedy oem replacement clutch iv heard that this is fine if you are doing a bp swap into an f series. Its supposedly a pretty goood clutch to use as replacement. i shopped around and ended up getting it for 130 shipped

my fs thread

Comment

yesterday i didn't really do much, except i cleaned the bp up a little by sanding it down and painting the bottom part of the block by the oil pan with some highheat black because there was some rust around there so i just wanted it to look a little clean so i decided to paint the block black.

thats right before i painted it, and also before i removed the alt of the b8

heres the removed alt

this is a shot with the bottom painted, after this i painted the top part of the block around the oil filter but i forgot to take a pic so ill prlly do that today or tomorrow

i took this pic because i was going to ask what to do with a belt that was running to ps AND ac b4 but im only going to use just p/s on the new motor, but i was told i can just the autoparts store for a belt for the p/s w/o a/c
                              Last edited by deathtrigga; 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM.

my fs thread

Comment

Working...
                              X