MinkelR's 323 Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MinkelR's 323 Worklog

Bought a 1992 Mazda 323 the other week and figured I'd start a worklog since it needs some repair and to be worked on.

Things that need to be done:
    Wheels aligned
    Tie rod ends
    Lower Ball Joints
    Drivers door replaced
    Drivers front fender replaced
    Possibly Hood replaced
    Plug wires (DONE)
    Dizzy Cap & rotor (DONE)
    Fuel Filter replacement (DONE)
    Remove oxidized paint (wet sand)
    Major dents removed (Holy dentmobile Batman!!)
    Clean engine bay
    Re-attatch radiator fan mounts to radiator
    Replace lots of the interior
    New tires
    De-yellow the head lights
    Replace the red light bar between the tail lights
    Replace blinker relay
    Trace down some cut wiring to see where it went
    Fix exhaust leak between header and downpipe

A few pictures:

You can see the oxidized paint and the cracked rear taillight piece

You can see the awesome air horn that one of the previous owners installed

Temporary fix for my radiator fan mounts. Clothes hangers come in handy. Missing a few VC bolts as well.

A view of the damage I want to fix
    Last edited by MinkelR; 01-17-2009, 06:46 PM. Reason: Added to the To-Do list
    1987 Acura Integra LS (Now Parting Out)
    1989 Acura Integra LS
    1992 Mazda 323 (Current DD)

damn OUCH!!!!!! lot a work ahead of you but NOTHING is impossible. as long as it runs good and was cheap your golden
    Check out the Pics
    sigpic
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
    Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

I am getting a 1990 for free soon. That damage isn't too bad. Just need a new door. The rest looks pretty good.
      sigpic
      -BP-VF10-FMIC-2.5 Magnaflow-Eibach-Tokico-Megasquirt II-Zeitronix-

Comment

moscow eh? you going to spokane or lewiston junk yard?

Comment

Originally posted by LaFlava View Post
          moscow eh? you going to spokane or lewiston junk yard?
          Don't know many of the junkyards around here yet. I used to live over on the other side of the Cascades so I usually went to the Arlington and Lynnwood Pull-A-Parts. Lewiston is closer so I'll probably have to check them out.

Grabbed the car for $300. Most of the damage is cosmetic. The engine and tranny are in nice condition.

I'll be sure to post updates on my progress, I probably won't do much body work until the summer comes.
          1989 Acura Integra LS

Comment

Diamond in the rough. Good luck with the project
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by MinkelR View Post
              Don't know many of the junkyards around here yet. I used to live over on the other side of the Cascades so I usually went to the Arlington and Lynnwood Pull-A-Parts. Lewiston is closer so I'll probably have to check them out.

Grabbed the car for $300. Most of the damage is cosmetic. The engine and tranny are in nice condition.

I'll be sure to post updates on my progress, I probably won't do much body work until the summer comes.
              they have a pull-n-save in lynnwood? holy crap. you wouldn't happen to know where would you? arlington is a bit of a drive from central seattle. I never actually visited the jy in lewiston but it sounded ghetto. the pull-n-save in spokane is actually pretty nice. spaldings is also a decent place for mx3 seats etc.

Comment

they have a pull-n-save in lynnwood? holy crap. you wouldn't happen to know where would you? arlington is a bit of a drive from central seattle. I never actually visited the jy in lewiston but it sounded ghetto. the pull-n-save in spokane is actually pretty nice. spaldings is also a decent place for mx3 seats etc.
                Here's their website: http://cheapparts.biz/
                They have a few locations.
                I've drove by the Pull-N-Save a few time while in Spokane. I guess I'll have to stop by and check it out the next time I'm up there.
                1989 Acura Integra LS

Comment

Here's their website: http://cheapparts.biz/
                  They have a few locations.
                  I've drove by the Pull-N-Save a few time while in Spokane. I guess I'll have to stop by and check it out the next time I'm up there.
                  how long have you been in moscow? you should check out bucer's coffee house if you haven't already. a friend of mine plays jazz there once a month or so, it's really chill and they make great hot chocolate.

Comment

how long have you been in moscow? you should check out bucer's coffee house if you haven't already. a friend of mine plays jazz there once a month or so, it's really chill and they make great hot chocolate.
                    I've been in Moscow since August. I haven't been to Bucer's yet but I think they're just down the road from me.

Anyways, today I installed a new fuel filter, new plug wires, and a new distributor cap and rotor. Seems to run a bit better. I want to check timing soon if/when it warms up outside.
                    1989 Acura Integra LS

Comment

Some small stuff today.
                      Gave it it's first oil change since I've had it. Filled it up with some Castrol Syntec. The oil filter for this engine is laughable, it's smaller than my fist. Also gave the VC a quick scrubbing and relocated the air horn.

Before:

After:

Put the air horn underneath the passenger side headlight behind the bumper. I only mounted one because there was a delay between pushing the horn and the horn actually honking. Now it works instantly. I'll probably swap in the larger horn since the smaller one sounds puny.

Some mystery wires. The two green ones were cut. It comes from the wiring by the drivers side head light. Don't have a clue where it goes or what it's for.
                      1989 Acura Integra LS

Comment

Parts!

Got some parts in the mail the other day!! Tie rod ends, and ball joints. I'll get them installed before my wheel alignment. I know the other ones have torn boots and metal showing. Hopefully that should take some of the slop and noise out my handling. Also got the exhaust gasket I needed. I should be getting a new NTK O2 sensor in the mail today :D. Hopefully that'll help raise my mpg's.
                        1989 Acura Integra LS

Comment

Some mystery wires. The two green ones were cut. It comes from the wiring by the drivers side head light. Don't have a clue where it goes or what it's for.
                          thats the reverse lights sensor, its directly below on the transmission
                          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                            Sweet! Thanks a bunch! I'll have to crawl under and wire that back up when it warms up a bit.
                            1989 Acura Integra LS

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                              yup, anyone know how these wires get cut so easily. it seems to happen more than it should.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X