Steering Rack Rebuild & SSTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack Rebuild & SSTs

Any one have access to Mazda Service Tools? I'm rebuilding the rack on my 4WD and I'm going to need some special tools. Specifically, I'm looking for the Plug Wrench/Socket (49B032-306 and -327) and the seal installer & former (49B032-314 & -312).

I'm willing to buy them if need be.

I've tried Mazda (Kowa Seiki) and the part numbers are not longer valid.
    Snap-on does not list anything that looks close.

I have not tried the local dealer, hopefully there are still in the back somewhere, but let face it, these tools are close to 20 years old.

The plug wrenches should be fairly easy to make, but the seal former is another story.

I've gone through our transmission kit and we don't have a seal former that size. If I can't find the right tool, I may leave those seals alone, they look to be in fairly good shape and I'd hate to make a problem to trying to replace them with out the proper tools.
    Attached Files

I've come up empty on my search for the correct SSTs. Looks like I'll have to Fab some up. I've got most of the rack apart, other than the seals it is in really good shape. I remembered to bring the camera today, so I'll take some pics of the rack in pieces.

Comment

The rack rebuild is under way. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance to resize and upload them. I do not recommend attempting to rebuild a rack unless there is no alternative. The SSTs are unavailable and will have find or fab your own. If you have access to a trans rebuilder that will help.

If I had to redo this, I'd start with a rebuilt rack from a 2wd and try to figure out what the differences are.

My rack had a bad upper input shaft bearing. It is no longer available from the bearing manufacturer (I don't think it is even listed in the mazda parts book, you have to go to the next higher assembly). What's worse is no one makes a bearing that size. I'm going to use a SKF 61804, it is the same ID and OD but is 7mm thick (should be 6mm). It fits in the cap fairly well and it should work just fine.

The bearing was $40! plus I paid around $30 for the seal kit add another $10 for paint and I'm already 1/2 way to a rebuilt rack and that doesn’t even include my time.

Comment

I'm abandoning my rebuild attempt. I screwed up the "outer box" while pressing out the bushing. The bushing puller I was using was a touch too large and it dug into the walls on the on the way out. Plus, I have two more bad bearings. It could be fixed if necessary, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Big question is what to do next. I'm thinking about getting a manual rack and seeing if I can get it to work. Anyone done the PS to manual conversion on a 4WD?

Comment

im pretty sure the 4wd rack will still have the same principles for the conversion
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
          X