Miata CAS and Crank Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miata CAS and Crank Sensor?

i have a fwd bp which is in my 1998 protege. I ill be using the miata CAS in place of the stock distributor so i can run coil over plugs. Will i need to use the crank sensor as well as BOTH signals from the CAS? Or just the CAS? Or one from the CAS and the one on the crank?

And are there any differences between the Miata and 2nd Gen Protege crank sensors?

I will be running sequential injection and ignition by the way.

Any help would be great!

are you running the sock ECU?

Comment

Are you using MS? You can't run sequential injection with MS, there is only 2 drivers. For ignition, you can use the protege 4-1 cas with COPS.

Comment

its going to be a haltech e11v2 or a platinum sport 1or 2k

i know about megasquirts limitations and thats why i want a haltech but I am unsure what I will need for triggering

Does the miata just use the cas and no crank signal because the cas has 2 signals?
        Last edited by networkingdude; 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Bleaugh, Haltech.

The year Miata you're talking about changes what is going on. 94-97 had the distributor-style CAS and no crank sensor. 99+ moved the CAS to in front of the crank, and removed the old cam-driven sensor.
          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

so its just the cas that i need? no cam sensors or anything more than the cas? I just need to make sure guys. I want to do it once do it right.

EDIT: I'm thinking i should use the crank sensor for my main signal and one of the 2 outputs ( CKP or CMP ) of the cas as my secondary.
            Last edited by networkingdude; 02-05-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

The protege crank wheel has 4 teeth, so that is twice the resolution you need for finding TDC on the cylinders. If you want sequential firing or spark or ignition you also need a cam position sensor so that you know where TDC of cyl 1 is. Or you need a missing tooth crank wheel.

For true COP and sequential firing the Miata CAS and crank wheels won't help you because you won't be able to tell when cyl 1 is at TDC. The Miata/Protege system are meant to run batch fire and wasted spark. When people run COP on the Miata, they run the COPs in wasted spark mode. So they still fire 2 COPs at the same time.

The 4-1 Disty of the older protege will help you locate cylinder 1 because it has just 1 extra slot in the cam wheel for cyl 1. So you actually can run full sequential COP and injection on a 4-1 cam wheel if the haltech allows it BUT your engine speed resolution is as poor as it can be.

I recommend using a missing tooth crank wheel for the higher resolution and ability to identify TDC of cyl 1. You will have to retrofit this to your crank pulley.
              Last edited by Lex; 02-06-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

ok, so if i just want to do batch firing can i do sequential ignition?

can i use the protege crank sensor and the miata cas together?

can i use just the cas by itself for batch?

if i get the missing tooth wheel do i still use the miata cas?

i'm really tiring to figure out all the options i have and I relly do appreciate the help guys.

EDIT: I also have a dizzy from an EGT and would prefer not to use it for ascetic reasons
                Last edited by networkingdude; 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

also, what are the effects of having poor resolution? Bad timing?

Comment

protege has no crank sensor. Just use the protege disty as a cas and it should be enough for COP sequential ignition and batch firing. Just remove the cap and rotor off the dizzy.

Comment

protege's DO have a crank sensor

and removing the cap would leave it exposed to the elements

Comment

well can someone at least point me to an article or other post that discusses miata cas's and crank sensors then? I can't seem to find any

Comment

Miata.net and Soloracer.com both have information about them.
                          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

thanks for the help

could still use some more input on options

Comment

Ask Haltech tech support if they support sequential injection and sequential COP using only a 4-1 cam wheel on a 4 cylinder 4 stroke motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X