Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe headers on 2.0L (install part 1)

Hello all,
    I will be installing a set of Ford Probe headers on my MP3 next week (Jan 15-ish). The header will be cut and welded to fit along with a high flow cat. The attachments are different so I will take pictures and report back whether it is a worth while mod. I will be removing both cats and adding one high flow. The headers were $100 on Ebay. Check out seller www.ssautochrome.com for more information on the products. They might be OBX headers since the company sells that line??? So long till the mail arrives.
    Shaun
    01 MP3
    98 civic (stock)

Probe Headers Part 2

Well, I installed the Probe headers on my MP3 yesterday. I removed both stock cats and replaced them with a single hi-flow cat. The install was straight forward and I had the end cut and welded to the remaining pipe. the cat is now under the front seats. Now, I do not have 1/4 mile times or a dyno to verify increases, but anyone can tell the difference with a before/after drive. I will definately agree with AWR's claims of 10hp and 11 lb/ft increases at the wheels, with the largest increases between 2500-5000 RPM. I have pictures coming but I need to finish the roll and send them away.
    Now, the problems:
    The EGR valve is bigger on the Pro than the Probe. My EGR is not connected and this may trip a CEL. One fix is to find a Probe EGR fitting and using it.
    The two O2 sensors are right next to each other and this, again, may cause the ECU to think that the cat is faulty and trip a CEL.
    My hi-flow cat is much farther back than stock, and I only have one, so it takes a while for it to ignite. This means that the car emits some smoke on cold starts.
    I reset the ECU and drove it around town. Everything was OK until that night when the CEL came on. I pulled over and reset the ECU and it went away. If this happens again, I will check the codes to see if its the emissions equipment. If it is, then I'm going to pull my CEL bulb. My friend had to do this on his 01 ES because he installed a 200amp alternator and that causes a CEL.
    Is it worth it? It was for me and if you don't mind the CEL (or removing it) this is worth the $200. Below is my list of costs.
    header: new on Ebay $125 shipped
    work (including some extra piping and the cat): $20
    Magnaflow Hi flow cat (optional): $115
    Shaun
    01 MP3
    98 civic (stock)

Comment

Oh, two more little problems I forgot to mention.
      1: Exchanging two stock cats and a resonator for 4-2-1 headers and a hi-flow cat has caused my car to sound honda-like. even with the stock MP3 muffler, the car has a buzz at 2500RPM for a sec and then the buzz returns above 4500RPM. It's a very minor point and impossible to avoid in an engine smaller than 3.0Ls but I prefer to sneak under the sound radar.
      2: The headers are T304 stainless steel but the flanges are mild steel (most flanges are). Where the two sections of the header connect, one flange was perfect but the other was warped, causing a leak. We fixed the warp with a hammer and found out that the flange is very soft (usually not good). Again, not a big deal, but I'm going to mention everything.
      Shaun
      01 MP3
      98 civic (stock)

Comment

After another 10 miles the CEL came on again so I will removing the bulb and driving with it permantely on. I will be adding an EGT probe to each tube to watch the fuel demands (4 in total). I still think it is worth it but I may be crazy.
        Shaun
        01 MP3
        98 civic (stock)

Comment

After another 10 miles the CEL came on again so I will removing the bulb and driving with it permantely on. I will be adding an EGT probe to each tube to watch the fuel demands (4 in total). I still think it is worth it but I may be crazy.
          Shaun
          01 MP3
          98 civic (stock)

Comment

Why not actually fix the problem? Your car will soon go into limp mode, running like ****. Get the EGR welded up, and get a O2 cheater.

Chris

Comment

I think you did a good job on finding a set of headers at a good price. Saves you a lot of money for other mods , unlike some other guys that I have seen purchasing headers for almost 400 ....

However, I do think you should get the computer read and find out what the actual problem is. Then work on correcting the problem or working on a solution. It will save you from your car running on preprogramed fuel maps..

Good Work..
              Bruce
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I found a guy on protege5.com that sells an O2 "cheater". I guess reactive has a header coming out soon and you need to use it since the pre-cat is removed on all headers. They called it a MIL.

The O2 fix is coming on Friday, Jan 16. I didn't order it before because I had never heard of this solution.
                Last edited by mp3owner; 01-14-2004, 03:13 PM. Reason: Shipment of part
                Shaun
                01 MP3
                98 civic (stock)

Comment

How much was the O2 fix. Can you email me or pm me the info or link or email addy of the guy.
                  I need one to bypass a 2nd o2 sensor.
                  thanks
                  Bruce
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I bought mine from http://www.ponyexpressperformance.co...liminator.html. They sell them for just about every model. It's $20.95 with free shipping. I paid extra to have it here in two days.
                    Shaun
                    01 MP3
                    98 civic (stock)

Comment

Working...
                    X