Window tint help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window tint help

Anybody have any good advice for tinting windows? My uncle tinted his own windows on his lancer and they looked like he had a shop do it. He said I could do it no problem. Any tips?
    1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
    1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
    1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

My advice, have a pro do it. It is well worth the money to have it professionally done.

Comment

I second that. Have a well know place do it.

Every wonder why you see cars with tint that is bubbled? It's because they probably did it themselves. No offence to your uncle, but it's probably a good idea to get it professionally done.
      2002 Blackmica P5
      CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

i did it myself at first. There were couple bubbles and my girlfriend found a small poor fly sufficated under the tint. It looked good from the distance of 5 meters. I tryed my rear one but it was too complicated. After two weeks I went to Ziebart and had it done professionally.
        If you gonna do it yourself - GOOD LUCK !
        98 protege LX for appearance
        89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Originally posted by russian
          i did it myself at first. There were couple bubbles and my girlfriend found a small poor fly sufficated under the tint. It looked good from the distance of 5 meters. I tryed my rear one but it was too complicated. After two weeks I went to Ziebart and had it done professionally.
          If you gonna do it yourself - GOOD LUCK !

Eugene, that is f**king hilarious! That's why I didn't try it myself, with my luck I'm sure I would have gotten a sandwich stuck under there.

PS. 3 more months to go and I'm back in Canada!
          2002 Blackmica P5
          CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

That's would be great to see you here again. Hope you have nice weather there. I'm freezing here in Canada!
            98 protege LX for appearance
            89 626 GT for performance

Comment

yea definately get a pro to do it, plus they'll have better materials that last longer and look better. You can get a real nice tint job around here for around 290 . . . none of that kmart looking stuff that turns purple or bubbles or peels etc.
              Tag Team

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
                yea definately get a pro to do it, plus they'll have better materials that last longer and look better. You can get a real nice tint job around here for around 290 . . . none of that kmart looking stuff that turns purple or bubbles or peels etc.
                $290! This is pretty expensive. I got mine done for $175 and that was with Lumar Center window tint and a lifetime bubble-free warranty.

Comment

get a pro to do it is a real good idea. I paid 200 for all around except windshield. Ive tired doing it myself and u dont want me to start with that. very frustrating and messy and sticky, AAH! yea its well worth the dough.

Comment

yea around 290 is the price here for a sedan. There is an even more expensive one too, but i dont even remember what the difference is
                    Tag Team

Comment

purple tint is cause by the amonia found in windex...to celan tint, just use soapy water!
                      Oh, do something like this (see pic) or if your car is a colour (ie, blue) get matching tint (ie, blue tint)
                      Attached Files

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                      1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                      Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

wow that sick. how did u do that? is that two tints. looks clean.

Comment

you just use like an exacto knife and cut the design out.

Comment

Yes, its two tints.
                            To do a dark tint with a light design like above, first, you lay down the 'background' tint (darker) then, using a marker (sush as a Sharpie) draw your design. Next, using an exacto knife cut along the marker leaving a cutout. Now, retint your windows using a lighter tint (or even try using a Chrome tint).
                            Quite often, the tint is done oposite to this with a light tint background and a darker design.
                            This type of tinting is usually used on mini-trucks and the 'design' can be anything from flames to tribal designs to water droplets to Logos. A decent tint shop (or sometimes even an audio shop or tuner shop) can do this for you. However, it is usually pricey!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                            1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                            Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

man nice. but i live in california. and they'll pull you over in a snap. i got pulled over today. I knew the cop was bored and jsut wanted to pick on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X