Nerd Racing's 94 Ford Aspire Work Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerd Racing's 94 Ford Aspire Work Log

I didn't know quite where to put this, since the car is loosely based on both the BF and BG chasis. I think it its slightly more BF so here is where I put it.

I had a 95 3 door that I swapped a B8-ME into and that car was a lot of fun. This time around I will be using the BP I bought off of Smoke last Spring, and depending on what I find I'm going to upgrade to an F or G series trans.

I picked up the car for $300 because of a blown transmission.

Pictars as she sat at the previous owner's house:

I'm not too crazy about the color, and the Jeggs and Summit stickers are going to be the first things to go!

I will hopefully start tearing it apart this weekend or possibly even Thursday.
    I'm planning a trip to the local U-pull it to get some hydro clutch and transmission parts.

This little sucker should fly!
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Quick question, I bought a GTX harness off of 323driver because I am planning on going turbo eventually. Would I be able to run a NA BP off of this harness or should I just pick up another 5 speed harness for the time being?
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Turbo harness won't have VICS. What ECU you got?
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

that going to be one quick aspire!!
        2012 Kia rio
        2009 Nissan Frontier
        1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

cool cant wait to see it done up!

Comment

Sweet, I may just pass on the GTX harness then to fund the rest of my swap then. I have an EGT 5 speed ECU. Looking for a Mazda BP one since I'm using a Mazda BP.
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
              Sweet, I may just pass on the GTX harness then to fund the rest of my swap then. I have an EGT 5 speed ECU. Looking for a Mazda BP one since I'm using a Mazda BP.
              they are both the same, i have had both in with no issue
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Awesome! so you had a Mazda wiring harness with an EGT ECU? That's great news! I can't wait to get this under way!
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I have a gtx ecu I'll sell you for 125 shipped if you are interested. That will clip right in to the gt harness no problems.

Comment

I'm going to pass on the GTX Ecu, I'm going to use the EGT one I have then.
                    Last edited by Turpro; 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM. Reason: Spam deleted
                    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Updates!

Towing it home!

Bad news... it won't run now! Which makes up my mind to drop the BP in when I do the trans swap.

All pushed into the garage so I can start taking it apart!

Shot of my dad's 62 Chevy II (nova) in the next bay over. Our garage is a mess!

Some parts teaser pics!

BP!!

The intake here is extra, I bought a complete one, its in the house.

And the Trans swap parts! Just need the clutch kit and hydro clutch system!

The trans is a Mazda G-series and protege LX axles and front hubs. We'll see pretty soon here how much trouble that extra inch will cause.

The hydro clutch setup I am looking at is from a civic, with a separate reservoir, instead of the mazda setup that uses the same reservoir as the brake system. Should only need to drill a few holes to mount the MC and then weld on a bracket for the MC piston to hook up to.

I may be taking a week off to catch up on rest, I've been running ragged the past two weeks getting the 96 ready for me to drive.
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

be careful when designing your clutch master cylinder push rod. i have a bp swapped festy and it has the g tranny with hydro clutch. the problem i ran into is that i mounted in the only available hole through the fire wall and now my clutch pedal travel is like 2.5 inches total. also makes the pedal super stiff. logan had the same problem on his car. the push rod needs to be further up the pedal lever. if i understand correctly the festy and aspire are almost the same car.
                        I am an idiot.
                        I am building a fwd racecar.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I was thinking of just using a clutch pedal from an EGT or protege.
                          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Here's what i do with aspires, only using the brand new front brakes:

(My ex-beater 1996 OBD2 w/1990 B6 SOHC Motor)

laspire la plus rosser a mort ki chilll o boute lol
                            ]94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, DRD TuningHand built KL-ZE , 4.105:1 LSD. (Built from '96 PGT KL)
                            1110Kg dry.
                            "MONEY SHOT"
                            sigpic

Comment

Sounds fun, I would do the same with an OBDII car since they are useless to me except for parts or winter beaters.

I sat down last night and took out the unneccessary parts from the BP Engine harness! :D

Hopefully when I'm home this weekend I'll get a chance to start taking the old parts out.
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X