Sequential Transmission!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sequential Transmission!!

Ok, so mt friend just had this tranny shop build him a 6 speed sequential shifting tranny for his rx7. It cost him $12,000. I called the shop and asked for a rough estimate on my pro for a 6 spd tranny like the rx7. He got all my tranny info and **** and gave me a rough estimate at $5500, and a 3 week turnaround. I think that'd be awesome to have that tranny built for my car. Is there anyone that has a sequential tranny, or even a 6 spd for their pro??
    Eat ****.

you'll probably be the first....

IMHO, i'd spend the money on building the existing tranny Godzilla strong....and still have plenty of money left over for a killer clutch/PP/flywheel set up, and a nice night out on the town

Comment

here here!
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
        you'll probably be the first....

IMHO, i'd spend the money on building the existing tranny Godzilla strong....and still have plenty of money left over for a killer clutch/PP/flywheel set up, and a nice night out on the town

how would u build your existing tranny godzilla strong?. Ive been stumped on this for awhile...Jon

Comment

see, you take godzilla.. eh, forget it do people actually make stronger internals ... gears and synchros or whatever that we can just slap into the transmission housing? if not, what would beefing up the transmission entail? stronger, more heat resistant metals or what? different gear ratios?
          peace

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
            see, you take godzilla.. eh, forget it do people actually make stronger internals ... gears and synchros or whatever that we can just slap into the transmission housing? if not, what would beefing up the transmission entail? stronger, more heat resistant metals or what? different gear ratios?
            peace
            well if you use a sronger metal... you have more strength... (no comment)

alos there are 2 way to "cut" gears one is the elongated spocket srtaight toothed, one has more of a spiral almost drill like quality in the "teeth" i believe the "screw-like" gears are stronger... or smoother.... one of the 2
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

that or get one of those Auto racing trannys that are supposed to be bullet proof
              Heard somewhere in the price of a grand or so.
              I dunno if any of what I said is true since IM both tired and been playing 6 hours of war 3

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                that or get one of those Auto racing trannys that are supposed to be bullet proof
                Auto... as in automobile...? or as in automatic???
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Level 10 can make a tranny for are cars for like 4000? but it turns it into a automatic :-(

Comment

I believe the "stronger" he was referring to is the case and not the internals.
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I meant auto as in automobile.
                      I read somewhere on the old proclub that you could get a tranny for racing that is supposedly bullet proof, meaning that the gears are unbelieveably strong and the casing can take a royal beating.

I dunno, just heard that somewhere off the old club.

Comment

this has probably been mostly covered many times before, but in case it hasn't.....

there are a few weak points but the gears break mainly because the shafts move apart when the case flexes - i can't replace the case but.....
                        if you want to toughen up your g series box, have gears 2-4 (or as many as you can afford )and the input shaft shot-peened and cryo'd if its available. Next, let me paraphrase a local genious who goes by the name of GTXWGN....

In auckland I figured out a way to fix the gearbox to stop it blowing...

Again it is correct that the gears blow because the shafts move apart a little bit which strips the tips of the teeth off then the rest of the gear..

the problem was the holes in the outer casing for the bearing shells wears out because the outside shells of the bearings turn inside the case when they should be solid and not turn or move, i even locktighted them in and they still turned, when they turn they wear out the holes for them in the case making a bit of slop. this is where all the movement came from...

Also the case itself flexes even without the bearing problem just from being thin alloy..

to make it stop blowing we did the following idea

machined out 3-4mm of alloy from the inside of the casing, then made a solid steel 4mm plate with the bearing holes in it and bolted this to the inside of the case.... now the bearings are a perfectly tight fit and the 2 bearing sheels cannot move apart at all because theres a steel plate holding them together, and its really tight so they dont turn...also shot peened the gears.....

no problems since that was done
                        Ross (gtxwgn) has done multiple fwd gtx swaps mostly into wagons (go figure?) so he knows what he's talking about....

no need to spend many $000's.
                        go you good thing!

Of course if you want to go crazy, get straight cut gears, personally I can't afford a new gearset so I'm gonna try Ross's idea first....
                        Last edited by Stefan; 09-09-2003, 05:00 AM.

Comment

good idea. Any thoughts on how much it cost to have gears shot peened, and to have the 4mm steel plate fabricated. It would be awesome if he had these for sale.

Comment

Ross doesn't sell the plates as far as I know but I'll ask him who did the cutting and perhaps I can chase them up......
                            He's since moved to Australia but he is currently building another bpt powered machine

Shot Peening is an engineering function so you'd have to ask around to see which engineering shops do it and get someone who does it to "aerospace" specifications if posssible.

I'll get back to you if I can find out more about the bearing plate although I'm sure if you had your gearbox out you or someone you know could probably plan the operation anyway.

go here to see some great pictures of the bearing section in question -
                            G Series Box - Look for the two BIG holes they are your main problem...

Comment

Straight cut gears are too loud and not that strong.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                              X