any1 help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any1 help me

when i hit my gas the car accelrates slowly and i dont think its jus cuz ive got a 1.5 but i mean it takes me 15 secs to hit 60 gunnin it any ideas...i did complete tune up i have no clue whats wrong and besides the fact that its slow as hell it runs mad nice smoothe and sounds nice but this is the main reson y thinkin boutn gettin that bpt engine any clue?

also my car has been eatin up gas badly ive been gettin about 14mpg like i said ive got my complete tune up and it wuz fine when i st baught the car but now i get 140 miles to the gallon and on edmunds.com it list a dx 95 protege has a 14 gallon tank but fillin it below the E still wont get me past 10 gallons any clue?and it dont leake anything either

Comment

wow thats weird. 15 seconds for 0-60 is pretty bad alright, even for a 1.5
      That gas mileage is almost worse than a z06 too lol

I wouldn't know the slightest. . . lots of our car gurus in here should have some info.

When did this problem start?
      Tag Team

Comment

From glancing through your Cardomain page, test two things...just to eliminate any one potential culprit or even combination of culprits...

1. Put your stock wheels back on.
        Not only are 17s heavier, they are probably a larger overall diameter. Two strikes againest acceleration.
        No arguing...they look good, but how much does each rim weigh? What is your overall diameter, including the tire.

2. Swap out that "chipped" ecu with something stock.
        Most of that "chipped" **** out there is pretty ghetto and unless you tuned that yourself on a dyno(or can tell me who did) the chip is suspect.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but these two things can easily account for your problem.

And not trying to add any insult here, but come on...claiming 130hp? Even alllowing some margin for wheel hp vs flywheel hp claims, that's still a little hard to swallow.

Comment

I agree. The "chip" will kill your gas mileage because the computer thinks the engine is running colder than it really is. This causes the computer to think the engine needs more fuel.....using more gas. Though you might get a little performance outta the "chip", you are murdering your gas mileage and if the chip tells your computer to run too cold it might even be hurting your engine.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
          Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
          I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

aight i will remove the chip npo pro but i wuz gettin great gas milage when i baught the rims there 8 inches wide and wit the tire i believe its arouind 20 inches but i mean when i baught the car and when i put on the rims i wuz still gettin sumwhere round i believe like 24 mpg now im gettin 14 that definately aint right but it cant b all due to the bigger rims

Comment

Bad Acceleration=rims
              Bad gas mileage=chip

I know your fairly new and don't want to be an a$$, but please use punctuation. It'll help us all out. It reminds me of a certain phucktard that most of his posts were just plain useless and agrivating.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
              Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
              I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

well my car wuz this slow before i baught my rims.i bought em 3 weeks after i got the car i notice little diference . u notice mostly on the highway.my car wuz gettin bad gas milage like in november it started i put in the chip end of december so that cant b it either.i think rims and chip has little to do with my problem maybe its worse but it still shouldnt b so bad even with those modifications,ya kno...any clues?

Comment

I agree, it's probably not entirely rim size/weight...that's why I said "one potential culprit or even combination of culprits". Even getting 24 is pretty low if you ask me. I regularly get 33+...even higher if I spend time on the freeway. It'll drop to 29-30 if I flail on it or spend too much tiime city driving.

The other big thing to consider is driving style. Evaluate your driving style. Be honest.
                  Here are some tips that will improve your gas mileage
                  1. Avoid WOT. Car goes into closed loop and runs rich.
                  2. Carry momentum whenever possible...don't brake for an intersection when you can let off the gas farther back and coast. Hopefully the light changes before you get there and you have less acceleration to do to get back to cruising speed.
                  3. Even steady throttle on the freeway...sudden inputs will tax the economy
                  4. draft semi-trucks on the freeway...you don't have to crawl up on their bumper to see benefits. A few car lengths back will reap benefits. Caution...not to close. You still need time to react.
                  5. Proper maintenance.
                  Run a fuel economy oriented oil...synthetic is good for this. Something like 5w-30 synthetic. Make sure your fuel system is up to snuff...change the fuel filter, clean fuel injectors. Proper tire inflation.
                  6. Don't idle. If you're not going anywhere for more then two minutes, shut the car off. An idling car in a parking lot gets 0 mpg burned.

Comment

i will try iono maybe itll help a bit imma change da fuel filter i can get a new 1 at advance auto its nice havin fam there but thanx for the tips i wont kno if it helpin til like april tho car is parked for winter

Comment

Originally posted by davens
                      1. Avoid WOT. Car goes into closed loop and runs rich.
                      Quick mention here, the 'chip' he has is probably causing it to run in closed loop mode, that's what most of those lame ebay chip mods do.

Another thing, I had 17s on my 323 that I just took off a few weeks ago, yes it makes a huge difference in acceleration. With the 1.5l and heavy 17s, I'm not suprised it's slow. What about stereo, lot's of weight in the trunk will slow it down too.

Definately lose the 'chip' though, they will do nothing for you.
                      Dan
                      dreesemonkey

Comment

edit: Curses, No Image Tag!
                        Last edited by zshakespeare; 01-08-2004, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare

edit: Curses, No Image Tag!

off topic?
                          Tag Team

Comment

don't forget that you have an automatic also.
                            The Protege in a automatic is a plain and simple pest.
                            Bruce
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

tru about plainthas y im lookin for a protege wit bad engine so i can swtich this 1 to stick

Comment

Working...
                              X