Winter Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Q's

I finally got my license back so i can enjoy my ride since yesterday!

But i didn't drive it since the end of the summer (90days suspension...guess why) so this is the first time im alone with my car and this morning when i started the car...it really seem like it was the hardest start ever done with the car, it took a good 30-45sec before the engine got started...i know its because the temperature outside is hella cold today, so i was wandering if anything can be done to help with cold starting...im talking about -40,-50 Celcius.

Thanks for the help

I wish I could help. that's DAMN COLD. the only offer I have is do like all of the Quebecians do. come to FLORIDA for the winter. you could chill, er warm up with us sorry I have no real help. it doesn't get to cold down here.

Originally posted by ilot

But i didn't drive it since the end of the summer (90days suspension...guess why) so this is the first time im alone with my car and this morning when i started the car...it really seem like it was the hardest start ever done with the car, it took a good 30-45sec before the engine got started...i know its because the temperature outside is hella cold today, so i was wandering if anything can be done to help with cold starting...im talking about -40,-50 Celcius.

Thanks for the help

Comment

oh, How rude of me, I forgot....WELCOME to Clubprotege

Comment

Hey man..
        My car was a baby last night, too... too like 15 seconds for the engine to roll over...
        Only thing you can do, really, is to buy a block-heater... they're like $200 from the dealership.. probably less if you can find them on ebay or something. get that installed and you should be fine.
        otherwise... get a garage or underground parking.. that's the best in the winter... that was a requirement for any new apartment i move to..

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
        RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
        MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

The block heater is $30 from the dealership and they only charged me an hour to install. I don't remember exactly what they charged per hour but it was probably like $70.
          02 Protege ES

Comment

yeah.. sorry. it's $200 installed at my dealership.
            $75 + $80 +taxes... either way.. not worth my time as i'm moving into a place with underground parking.
            WOO!

RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

at your next oil change, you can try synthetic oil, if you haven't already.
              magnaflow muffler, altezza tail lights, Tein coilovers, K&N airfilter, sparcko wires, arospeed strut tower bar...more to come. I need to learn to spell

Comment

Thanks for the reply so far

I thinked about a block heater but the problem is that my car is parked in the street in front of the house, nowhere near an electric plug, right in the artic wind path...but next winter i will have a place in the garage since we move into a new house.

And i was going to move to synthec oil at my next oil change, wich will be done next week. My cars will hit 10,000km, have done the first oil change at 5500km.

Could better spark plug help too?

Comment

Even with synthetic oil my P5 takes a while to finally start when it is cold. this seems to be a common issue with these cars so I am not all that worried about it at this time. Should be fun to see how long it takes this morning (2degF, or -16degC).
                  --JJB--
                  '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                  Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                  16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                  15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                  Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

hehehe. my GF started my car this morning. i was impressed. didn't whine that much.. and it's -40c outside... damn winter.

RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by ilot

...I was wondering if anything can be done to help with cold starting...
                      You say you're parking in the street. Run a long power tool extenstion
                      cord to the car from an outside outlet, assuming you have an outlet.
                      A car cover might help cut the Canadian Clippers bite.

OTOH, when it gets colder than a whore's heart in Hoserland, there might
                      not be much that really helps.
                      The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic $$$

Comment

yeah.. when the February Frost kicks in.. nothing other than a heated/insulated garage can help... a blockheater or car cover won't help against -50/-60 weather...
                        BARF
                        With the extension cord, be careful,though... lots of people can steal your hydro that way... haha.. or use it to heat up their car

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

If you don't have a possibility use a block heater, how about something like this

I know they are expensive, about 1k here but when it's that cold those gadgets are awesome.

Comment

My car started w/o any problems, I park it outside next to my fence and it was -30 with the wind... No probs for moi = )

Comment

hehehe. but -30 and -50 are a big difference.
                              last February, i heated up my stepdad's concorde for 20 minutes in North Bay, and it was still frozen solid.. just all the mechanical parts were stiff from the cold.
                              but it was -65 with the wind. that's brutal

RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X