GPS for auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS for auto

So in my search for the perfect rental car, i found that a built-in GPS is mandatory. I travel lots, and really like the added comfort of GPS... so now rings in the Q.

I'm thinking of sticking one of these in my car (in the glove box or under a seat).. and then hooking up a touch screen LCD in the dash, in place of where the current HU is...
    i dunno if that's realistic at all...

is that a feasable task?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

What rental cars do you rent? and what is the best system you've come across? I work for a company contracted by Hertz and i take care of all the Neverlost GPS systems in Orange Co. CA...although i've never actually used it for navigation...i know where i'm going So i was kinda curious on how it performed for a real world customer.

anything is feasible my friend....like the racing saying goes...speed cost $$, how fast do you want to go? the saying rings the same for audio/video...audio costs $$, how loud do you want it?

What you want is a very basic install, any competent installer can handle it. Although i do not suggest putting it under the seat if you carry passengers regularly (backseat) or if you have kids...since they don't know or easily forget, the unit will get kicked and beat up.

Comment

I test-drove the LX330 ultra premium turbo mcwanker package, that's the only time i ever saw a GPS in a car. didn't use it, but the salesman gave me a quick rundown on how it worked and HE used it for me... but i didn't get to use it.. it was neat cuz it told me when to turn and all that.

That's pretty much the setup i want... my GPS when i travel is usually my GF or a coworker, and i usually get lost and i have to read the maps by myself..
      the setup in th LX330 is exactly what i want, but with a touchscreen application (i don't know if it is cuz i had limited playtime, as the salesman was pretty reluctant to let me testdrive the car in the first place)

All i need is a GPS system with a built-in touchscreen LCD in my dash..
      Could I put my HU somewhere else(???) or could use the DVD-ROM that came with the above link to play CDs?

RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

you can relocated the current HU and have both, providing one of the 2 (indash screen or current HU) has an AUX input. If not, then you'd need some type of switching unit.....I would tend to think the DVD Navi would play all disc formats. I know the Pioneer units do, never played with a Kenwood. The Alpine units do not play anything other than the navi discs.

Comment

but you could get an alpine touchscreen and then get a nav system and hook it up to it...

Comment

I'm eventaully going to be buying one of those slide out touch screen dvd/mp3/cd players with teh gps navigation/ wireless web/ reverse backup camera ready systems on it it's what I'm slowly saving up for.
            Visit My Garage

Comment

Or you can buy a handheld gps and mount it to your pillar or dash on a cellphone mount. Then you can use it for hiking and stuff also by just taking it out.
              2002 Blackmica P5
              CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

my grandfather has ran this rudementary form of gps.. basically, a Garmin gps handheld unit with satelite antenna... all custom mounted, and he uses it every weekend.. and he's able to use a map program to get exact gps co-ordinates of a house/attraction/business to navigate his way to where-ever he's going. it's very rudementary, and he ends up burning more gas making the extra turns, but he's able to travel 700 miles (thats his record thus far) simply with this garmin handheld unit (something you would use for hiking) and a single gps co-ordinate.. no maps involved. it's incredible. he uses something like this (has had it for 6 years) http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_0&oid=37482

now for those not looking to totally revamp their car, there are turn-by-turn navigation systems available between 800 and 1200 bucks that just simply mount on the top of your dash like this product offered by garmin

and even moreso, Alpine and Kenwood both offer products that you can just plug into an LCD head unit (in otherwords, a lcd screen with radio built in, just no internal amplifier for speakers.. and i believe alpine offers a few WITH a built in amplifier as well as rca pre-outs). basically, you replace your factory radio with an lcd reciever, pack a dvd player under the console.. in the glove box or under the seat or even in the trunk, then with an additional antenna, the headunit runs the navigation software or something like that.. i know that alpine DOES offer aftermarket solutions for complete, hands free, turn-by-turn gps navigation.. search http://www.alpine.com for these products. unfortuneately, something like this will run you WELL over $1500 dollars for all the components you need for gps navigation. the plus side, you can watch a dvd when you're stuck in traffic as well . good luck
                peace

Comment

woohoo, found a link curtousey of tweeter.. basically, this is what you'd need http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...923&cp=1124548
                  plus a few other things
                  peace

Comment

carputer. . . .thats all i have to say

while using gps on some of my commutes i have found like 10 different routes that i can use whenever there is traffic and whatnot. . .gps is cool

so are the many other things that a carputer can do
                    2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                    Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
                    OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
                    Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
                    sun ground kit
                    5spd sunroof
                    Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
                    7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                    power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
                    6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

carputer?

the closest thing i found is a friend that built a computer in a tupperware and stuck it under his seat.. accessed it with a palm pilot and had about 40gb of MP3s in there..
                      but that was like 4 years ago... i'm sure much has evolved since then.

RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

well yea its under my seat. . .40 gb hard drive. . .sounds about right for me. . .but yea i have a 7in touchscreen where the radio used to be and it's molded in the dash and looks stock. . .probably spent about 800 for the screen and the computer.

the computer itself is mini-itx based (really small and low power consumption)

-rich
                        2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                        Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
                        sun ground kit
                        5spd sunroof
                        7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                        6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

pictures! now!
                          Visit My Garage

Comment

pics eh. . i don't have any recent ones. . but here's some of my first install. . . .i got a new computer a couple months after that but i haven't taken any pics of the new setup (amps and computer and subs and whatnot)

but the screen is still the same

lemme look or ill take some new pics
                            2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                            sun ground kit
                            5spd sunroof
                            7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                            6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

i guess you can hunt though this thread for some pics. . ....its pretty long and pics don't start for the first couple pages but this is the first setup with a ghetto aluminum case that i fabbed up

Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.
                              2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                              sun ground kit
                              5spd sunroof
                              7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                              6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

Working...
                              X